Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

CALLING PARTICULARLY ALAN - seeing you have the expertise - together with all the other Aussie regulars

Search

CALLING PARTICULARLY ALAN - seeing you have the expertise - together with all the other Aussie regulars

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it is early days but I am sure that although the towns which were hit by Hurrican Katrina are in a 1st World, comparatively rich country, there are still people from that area who would be in great need and must be in the depths of despair at present.
Can we do something like we did for Alan's Indian village?
Can some American Fodorians suggest what we could do to help some of these people. Perhaps even letters of support from afar. I cannot begin to feel what it must have been like and what it is like now that the damage is coming to light.
Sure there are 280 Million Americans who can help but perhaps if those poor people thought that there were others around the world who would like to offer something it may just lift their spirits a little.
What do you say Alan, Trop, Marg, Neil,Pat, Johnj, and anyone else who I have missed?
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:15 AM

lizF
It is so nice to hear about someone wanting to help, rather than hating us.

New Orleans is one of my favorite U.S. cities, and I was so saddened to think that it won't be the same for years to come.

I'm sure they (and everyone who has family/friends there)would much appreciate your help. I think for right now, they just need the basics - water, food, etc. I did a search on Network for Good relating to Hurricane Katrina, and the list is found here
http://partners.guidestar.org/networ...ller/search.gs

Carmen
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:34 AM

The Red Cross is a good place to send donations.

A lot of refugees, including many many children, are being moved to the Houston Astrodome. Perhaps there is a way to send toys and games for those who don't like to make monetary donations?
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 12:28 PM

Hi lizF, what a nice thread.
I think the best thing right at this time is donations to the RedCross, Salvation Army etc. We are being told that there is no way to get supplies into NO via roadways. That would not be true for the AmstroDome in Texas however where people are being taken.

I think shipping cost would be prohibited. I read on Fodors US Board that churches in Texas were organizing supplies etc. Perhaps that would be a good way to go if anyone has a contact.

Sending letters and cards right now would be pointless as there is no mail service.

lizF, this is a nightmare. I don't know how people are surviving. And then to add to the trauma and the misery there are all the looters, carjackers, people with guns shooting at the helicopoters trying to evaucate hospital patients. There has to be a special place "you know where" for them.

A good source of information, as I am sure you know, is cnn.com. It is hard to read the stories though, it just keeps getting worse and worse.

Best wishes to you.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 12:52 PM

Check out the listings for free items on craigslist (an internet classifieds site) - it's really touching what some are offering. There's also a good post called "More alternatives for donating" which has a lot of list of goods needed and places to send them.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/zip/
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

What does not sit well with me is that whenever there is a disaster in some South East Asian or African county with corrupt Governments, and in the case of Indonesia who should be an affluent country, so much money is sent and help but if that same disaster happens in some affluent country nothing is done. These people hurt the same, cry the same and have the same needs and we are all so quick to 'give ' aid to those who are just as likely to bomb us at the earliest opportunity so why not to one of our closest cousins?.
Maybe in a week or so when the refugees have been relocated we can come up with something. I sure would like to see some foreign aid sent to these people. They will need as much courage and fortitude as they can muster in the coming weeks/months and all the help they can get.
I don't think that postage will be an issue from our end. If it costs $20 to send some nice clothes or whatever I think that each and everyone of us, who in particular have been to New Orleans, can afford that little bit.
Carmen, I don't think that people hate the US, its probably more envy than anything and the misguided notion that you all got your "affluence" without doing anything at all.
I have often been critical about some issues involving the US but I would be the first one to say that for me it is my second " home away from home" so to speak and where I have a feeling of great affinity but that could be because my maternal grandparents come from Conn. and my father from Texas but I didn't know any of them.
In the mean time I will call the Red Cross here to see what is being asked of us and to see what they are doing. But I really would like the people of those States to think that there are many people who are wishing them well and hoping that they can come through this long and painful time.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the call, Liz, we'll be in that. It's the least we can do especially as onetime visitors to NO -we had a wonderful time in that city.

LoveItaly, we in Australia get CNN coverage here too, right now looking at the dreadful aftermath, trash building up, bodies in streets, people pleading for help. Living in a cyclone (hurricane) prone area as I do it makes me super-aware that the same could happen here in our summer. Back in the 70's one of our small cities, Darwin, was just about wiped out by a cyclone and there's no guarantees it won't happen again.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:22 PM

Dear liz, pat, although I live in Californnia versus the Gulf Shore states I want to tell you that your post and your kind and loving thoughts have touched me so much. I can only imagine how much they will mean to our dear people in the area of devistation when they finally get access to a computer.

Pat, Darwin, I vaguely remember that (I apologies for vaguely remembering it). I think that perhaps you know my dear father was raised in Australia (but born in Wellington, NZ) so you are all in my hearts. Wish my father could have stayed in Australia, he would have been happier I am sad to say.

Two personal stories, out of thousands and thousands. A dear friend called me today. Family members live along the Alabama shoreline. She has not heard from them and has not been able to reach them. Power and phone lines no doubt down as well as cell phone towers. So no news is a terrible strain on anyone.

A beautiful 70 year old lady whose parents from Italy came to New Orleans were she was born and raised. Her husband (also had parents from Italy) never wanted to take time away from his business to go to Italy. He always told her "after we are retired". He finally retired and within months came down with a health problem.

This dear and beautiful lady, with her husbands blessing went to Italy with their daughter about 10 days before Katrina hit New Orleans. Her first trip to Italy which was to be for three weeks. She looked at it as her one and only time to visit the homeland of her parents.

Katrina hit New Orleans. She has not been able to reach her husband. She has no idea if he left New Orleans, if he is on a rooftop, if he is dead or alive. And of course the airport to New Orleans is closed to commercial flights. I have not heard anything about this situation for two days. But my heart breaks for this family. I cannot imagine the terror they are going through.

Just a couple of stories out of thousand and thousands of stories.

And then of course there is the horror, the shame etc. of the looters, the carjackers, the rapist, the many people with guns that are even shooting at the helicopters that are trying to evacuate the sick and the elderly from the hospitals.

Whatever your believes, please say a prayer and hold a good thought for the thousands of people that are going through a living hell.

And again, thank you for your thread. And forgive me if I am sort of rambling or not spelling words properly as I just received a phone call that my dear friend from the time we were 14 years old is back in the hospital (cancer) and will not make it this time. Hugs to all.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:37 PM

Well, with LoveItaly joining us, this thread is becoming a clan reunion!

It's a nice idea, Liz, and, of course, you couldn't be righter about the idea of helping a country that won't turn around and bite the hand that feeds it. New Orleans is one of the great cities in the USA; and it will be again, no doubt about that. I was in New York three months after 9/11 and I thought the city was more welcoming, braver, friendlier, and altogether more satisfying than on a previous visit ten years before (at which time I declared it as one of the three great cities of the world). A friend of mine who was in London during their recent problem says that he's never loved the city quite this much before. Adversity can bring out the best in fine people....as you and the posters on this thread can clearly demonstrate. Strength to your arm!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

I once made the front page of the newspaper when my house burnt down and had it not been for my dog barking the alarm we could have gone up in the fire.
The things that stayed with me during that difficult time were just two little things but which meant a lot. One was the fireman who took the clothes off the clothesline for me and folded them and gave them to me, but the most touching was a stranger who came up to me and hugged me tight and said "you will be OK, just have courage and remember we will all help if you need us".
I was so grateful to those people who were so kind to me then and of course I did get through that time with the thought that I had people who were willing to help me if I needed.
Our Government has announced that they will be sending some experts in something or another to help. Its a dreadful tragedy of monumental proportions and one which the world needs to reach out with as much help as possible.
Loveitaly: we will also keep a little thought for you and your friend and hope that you will both remember the good times that you both had. It is hard to accept a loss like that but if you count those special things that happened between you it may make that journey to come a little easier .
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 07:23 PM

Liz and all, thank you for your kind words and desire to help.

I agree that giving to the Red Cross or Salvation Army is probably the easiest way for people to help at this time.

There may be some organization in a week or so which would welcome donations of clothes, books, etc. I heard from one of my friends who helped with hurricane relief efforts in another state a couple of years ago that the group she was helping ended up throwing donated clothes in dumpsters because they didn't have the time or manpower to deal with organizing them. The need is so great this time, though; hopefully that won't happen.

Lee Ann
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 08:01 PM

LizF - good to see someone instigating some action on this terrible disaster.
As soon as I see an organisation like Red Cross, etc, start the ball rolling, they will get money from me, which I hope will help in some way.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 08:28 PM

Thank you for your loving words liz, yes I will hold onto to the fifty years of a friendship that was so special, and also to you Alan. Your comment about a clan gathering reminded me of my dear late father. I am feeling very teary tonight..to many emotions.

I just wanted to share something with you that our Statia on the US Board posted in case you didn't see it. Her sister in Texas told her there were people at the Texas boarder holding up signs reading "Welcome to Texas" for the people stumbling into Texas. She also said her sister said that retired teachers in Texas are stepping forward and volunteering to teach the dear little children bringing brought into Texas.

Some horrible people committing terrible acts and so many beautiful actions by so many good people.

Hugs to all of you. Take care.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 05:16 AM

LoveItaly, those two little stories really need to be told, and spread about. The news coverage we are getting here in Australia is, not unexpectedly, all about the bad things. We hear of children being raped in the Superdome, armed gangs terrorizing citizens in full view of everyone, policemen being shot for trying to enforce order, rescue helicopters being shot at, and bodies piled up next to where people are sheltering. I have no doubt it is, indeed, a disaster of epic proportions, but your stories are, I believe, more typical of the Americans I've encountered than all of those other awful images. I'm glad you mentioned them.... it's for sure, our Sydney TV stations wouldn't be bothered, when there are all those other pictures to fill us with the revulsion that nowadays seems to go hand-in-hand with entertainment!
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:16 AM
LN

Hi again

Thank you for thinking of these victims Liz - it is people like yourself, Alan, Pat, and all the great Australians I've talked with on this board - who help at times like this.

There is a very easy site on which you can send contributions to the American Red Cross Katrina Fund. Go to http://www.google.com/ and you will immediately see the information necessary to send any size donation.

For some stupid, slow-witted governmental reason food and water are NOT really reaching these poor people left in the city. Most of the people that were stranded in New Orleans were poor and did not have the money or the means to leave the city.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers.
Ellen
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:45 PM

Excellent plan Liz and thanks for galvanising us.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:44 PM

Liz, you are great.
I know that in NZ the Salvation Army seems to be leading the support sector, with probably the other usual agencies close behind. As with others, our thoughts are for the people of NO.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

I sell a bit on Ebay and I am going to write to them and ask if they could just donate 1 cent per sold item to the rebuilding of lives, housing and communities in the Miss. Delta. The amount of money that is generated throughout the world on Ebay would go help so much. No-one would miss one cent but it would add up to a huge amount.
Perhaps though it could be held back for a few weeks as it will not be just goods and services that will be needed but psychological support, financial support for those who have lost jobs, lost family and lost friends. This is when the biggest toll will be seen. You can fix a broken bridge but its so hard to fix a broken heart.