Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Homeopathic "No Jet Lag" -- Does it Work?

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my subject line pretty much covers the question. Has anyone had any experience with this product (made in New Zealand)? I saw it in a travel store for $11.49 and am considering it for the flights from Nashville to Ireland.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:50 AM

There are previous posts on the subject if you want to dig further. You can buy it online for less but then there's the s/h charge...
We have been using it and believe it helps, even if that is solely attributed to 'mindset'. It won't hurt anything other than small dent in your wallet.
I was once sceptical of the Airborne thing, too, but haven't brought home a cold or sinus inf. since I started using it, 3 trips ago. Again, mindset or whatever, seems to help.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:52 AM

p.s. I am also thinking that 'jet lag' becomes more manageable after you've traveled several times. I think you learn to recognize the symptoms and deal with them better. So.. that could be part of it, too.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:54 AM

It is interesting that nobody who has ever used this product has reported what ingredients are in it. Knowing that would help explain how it works, if it really does work.

I am wondering if the ingredients are even listed on the label of this product.

Travelnut can you comment on this, please?
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:57 AM

The ingredients have been posted here, done it myself. They are listed on the website,too.
http://www.nojetlag.com/jetlag7.html
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:09 AM

It's interesting that they don't say how much of the "ingredients" is contained in each tablet. The "scientific test" section of that website is funny: just 19 subjects tested on a single flight. I see no rational reason to buy this product.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:10 AM

Travelnut,

I looked up the contents on the site you supplied, but I'm confused by the units listed. The site says that the pills contain 30C of each of the active ingredients. What is a "C"? Is that some sort of homeopathic measurement?

I know that homeopathy uses dilutions of materials so that the final medicine contains almost none of the original material. Can anyone clarify?

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:18 AM

Travelnut,

I apologie for not realizing that you have, in the past, posted these ingredients. I'll try to pay closer attention in the future.

Since "jet lag" is basically a result of sleep deprivation I find the ususal use of the ingredients listed interesting.

Not saying it doesn't work, mind you, since even a placebo effect can often be useful.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:25 AM
J62

I'm of the opinion that the proper combination of diet, caffeine intake, sleep, and exercise are the best way to handle jet lag. No such thing as a magic pill.

1. don't drink any caffeine the day you travel - it'll make getting some sleep on the plan easier.

2. If you are departing on an after dinner flight across the pond, eat before you get on the flight and skip the dinner meal.

3. Sleep as much as you can, or at least close your eyes and zone out on the flight - don't do thing to keep yourself awake like reading or watching movies.

4. day of arrival get some good exercise - not just walking around a town, but rather a more thorough workout, swim, gym bike, etc.

5. Do not take a nap after lunch - or you won't get any sleep that night.

6. stay up till a reasonable bed time - don't go to bed in Ireland at 6pm, but stay up till your normal Nashville sleep hour.

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:01 AM

I think I'll try my next trip without using it... I'd like to know the power of the placebo effect vs. telling myself I'm the one who has mastered jet lag.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:24 AM

I'm really a traditionalist when it comes to medicine, because I think taking a lot of untested herbs and things can be harmful (or just a waste). I also don't like that most of them aren't tested for efficacy, or perhaps even safety. The problem with the placebo effect is that because you know you are or are not taking something, that could still affect you. As for Airborne, whether you get a cold or not could just be random, anyway. Once I tried Zicam because I do read some medical journals and things as part of my job, so I knew there were at least some published studies that it might be of measurable effect (although I think there are now more that negates them). Basically, I thought sticking zinc up your nose was sort of wacko anyway, and couldn't see what that had to do with a virus.

Well, the first time I tried it, I did get over my cold fairly quickly -- so I thought maybe it worked, although that has happened sometimes before, anyway. The second time I took it, I found no effect whatsoever and the cold was severe and lasted long, and I followed the same methods. Then, I read of lawsuits that this product has actually caused nerve damage to the senses and people can't smell any more (I had a friend that had that happen -- how awful to never be able to smell food again), which sort of makes sense that zinc could do that to you. So I never took it again. I really don't like products that are cooked up by someone with no scientific credentials (if that is Airborne, I would never take it -- some such product advertises that it was developed by a teacher as if that means anything since the teacher had no credentials in pharmacology or medicine and I think was just an elementary school teacher).

I noticed one of the ingredients on No Jet Lag is ipecac which is what you keep around in case you need to induce vomiting in someone quickly. ugh

Anyway, for homeopathic dosage info, here's a good description (that C is homeopathic)
http://www.ritecare.com/homeopathic/guide_potency.asp
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:07 AM

Thanks, Christina, for that reference to homeopathic dosage. It is as I suspected, the "active" ingredients in No Jet Lag have been diluted so much, it is argueable if even a single atom of the material is in the final pill. Serial dilution of the "mother" solution by 1/100, thirty times --- well there cannot be enough of the material left to have an effect.

I know that the folks that practice this arcane art say the solution gains a "memory" of the original medicine, and is thus able to benefit the body in some strange and mysterious way.

Right---

Shows what salesmanship can do. I should have bought stock.

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My husband and I have used No Jet Lag tablets quite a few times, on longhaul flights from Australia to Europe (approx. 25-30 hours). We think they work and don't care why - even if it's all in our minds - if it makes a difference to the first few days on arrival, then it's worth it.

We also think that drinking as much water as possible helps because dehydration seems to make jetlag worse. Only trouble is you have to keep getting up to go to the loo and it's harder these days to take loads of water with you as hand luggage.
Kay
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:44 PM

I used them for our trip to Paris last summer. I had a very strange experience, but I don't know if it was caused by those pills. We went to dinner with our group and had lots of wine with dinner. You'd think I would have fallen asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. I could NOT go to sleep. I was awake for over an hour, when I finally decided to take a valium I packed. I probably will try them next summer to see what happens. I really don't get jet lag going to Europe---just going back home.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:08 PM

homeopathic remedies or preventatives have never been scientifically demonstraated to have a true beneficial effect. the whole idea if serial dilutions carried out too the extreme that homeopathy suggests is preposterous. save your time and money
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:08 AM

Who cares about scientific tests, I just *feel* it works!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_lxjfEfcKAM
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:22 AM

I don't know about the No Jetlag pills but I sure am a fan of Zicam. I'm around coughing, sneezing tourists daily & have successfully fought off cold for the past couple of years by dosing myself at the FIRST sign of a throat tickle.

Maybe it's a placebo but with asthma & COPD, I'll take any benefit I can.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:06 AM

I took them on a recent long haul flight Dubai to Sydney and they seemed to overcome that spaced out /jetlagged sensation and although I was still very tired when I got there it was more just incredible tiredness and once I had a decent nights sleep was totally adjusted to the timezone. In the past that has taken days to re-adjust.