Cairns restaurants and hotel help?

Oct 9th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Cairns restaurants and hotel help?

I am staying at the Hotel pacific International at 43 Esplanade. is this a good location? i am staying here for 2 nights in december. are there any good restaurants nearby? am i close to town. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

jon
Oct 9th, 2003, 07:25 PM

Hi Jon - after 10 years of scoffing in restaurants in Far North Qld I only yesterday compiled a list of my favourites for our visitors. Your hotel is very centrally located and the following are all within easy walking distance: ITALIAN - Donnini's Ciao Italia - upstairs in Pier Market - CHINESE: - Cafe China - cnr Spence & Grafton Sts; Taste of China - 36 Abbot St; JAPANESE: Kamome - The Conservatory - Abbot St; Yamagen - Village Lane, Abbot St; INDIAN: Marinades - 43 Spence St; Tandoori Oven - 62 Shields St; THAI: - Phuket Thai Seafood (not pretentious but AUTHENTIC Thai food)- 74 Grafton St; FRENCH: C'est Bon - 20 Lake St; GREEK: Yanni's - cnr Aplin & Grafton; SEAFOOD: Pesci's - downstairs at Pier Market overlooking inlet; AUSTRALIAN BUSH TUCKER: Red Ochre - cnr Shields and Aplin Sts.
These are not necessarily listed in order of preference - they're all excellent. Good eating!
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

thank you for yuo suggestions.

jon
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

do i need to make advanced reservations or just show up?
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Hi Jon - you don't say what time of year you'll be here but generally speaking you should make reservation for Friday or Saturday night. Mostly it's OK just to show up but you may have to wait for a table.
Oct 11th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

pat,

in my first message i mentioned i was going to be in cairns in december. the 13 and 14. sat and sun. i will take your great advice and book a reservation for the saturday night dinner and sunday just show up. this is a base for my whitewater raft trip sown the tully and a pit stop before i head to heron island.
Oct 11th, 2003, 05:17 PM

Sorry Jon - so you did say you'd be here in December. Meant to mention - if you go to Taste of China take a jacket (you certainly won't need one outside) - they keep their a/c at freezing level! Have a great time!