Search

Broome camping trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broome camping trip

Has anyone taken an organized Kimberleys and Bungle Bungles camping/hotel trip? Would like feedback.Also the expensive boat cruise from Darwin to Broome.Would love some comments about it.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 02:21 PM

We have just returned from a trip with APT (Australian Pacific Touring) which began in Darwin and included Kakadu, and then travelled through the Kimberley to Broome.
It was a wonderful trip and the scenery through the Kimberley is just fantastic.
We also spent two nights at El Questro which is an eco-tourist resort and is worth seeing on its own.
It was our third trip with APT and we have found them to be highly efficient, have well planned and timed trips and all the hotels were of a consistently high standard.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 02:42 PM

I forgot to say that there are various other companies who run more adventurous Camping/4WD Tours of the area and also APT has a 12 Day Kimberley & NT Safari - which is camping rather than hotels.
I have also only heard rave reviews of the boat cruise from Darwin to Broome and met the father of one of the crew who has been on board for several years - so he must enjoy it!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Hi John,
There are lots of great camping and accommodated options to see the World Heritage Listed Purnululu (Bungle Bungle) National Park and also the fabulous coastline of the Kimberley. I can recommend 2 websites for your further research: www.kimberleycruises.com (for the coastal trip) and www.kimberleysafari.com (for the 4wd/coach tour). I hope that this aids your planning.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:57 AM

I did a camping trip with All-Terrain-Safaris from Darwin to Broome. It was great, we visited the best places and we had enough time for everything. The tour is pretty basic, you sleep in swags or tents and some areas you won't have any facilities (like the Bungle Bungles) like showers or running water. But it was worth every cent I spent. I would do it again, any time. Remember that the Kimberley region is one of the most remote areas in Australia.
If you like more info or links just visit
www.wonderfulaustralia.com
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 08:47 PM

We cruised from Cairns up to Thursday Island, across to Darwin and down to Broome in January 2003. It was cyclone season so just be careful when you go. We are independent travellers and absolutely hate being on organised tours so I cannot help you with the organised tour stuff.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 05:01 AM

John: see the attached thread where I've given a faily detailed report on our 1997 trip to the Kimberley. It was a fantastic trip, though the way we did it would not be for everyone.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34503822