Thoughts on this Australia itinerary...

Aug 16th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thoughts on this Australia itinerary...

Hi. Any thoughts/comments on our high-level itinerary to Australia in November would be greatly appreciated.

-Arrive Sydney from US
-4 nights in Sydney
-morning flight to Hamilton Island, boat transfer to Hayman Island
-3 nights Hayman Island
-morning flight to Cairns and on to Lizard Island
-3 nights Lizard Island
-afternoon flight to Cairns transfer to Silky Oaks Lodge, Daintree
-2 nights Silky Oaks
-morning flight Cairns to Ayers Rock
-2 nights Sails in the Desert
-fly to Adelaide; 2 nights Adelaide with 1 day on Kangaroo Island
-fly to Melbourne
-3 days/2 nights in Melbourne
-return flight from MEL back to the US

Any thoughts? Are we trying to do too much? We'd like to see a lot - our 1st trip to Australia, but won't be our last(so don't have to squeeze in everything!) What about the weather in these areas in November?

Thanks!!

Aug 16th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Kathi, your itinerary is just great, don't change it. You may get others who will say, "you should this or see that", but your itinerary is just fine, it allows you plenty of time to look around Sydney, Hayman Island and Lizard Island will be just wonderful (very plush), Silky Oaks Lodge (excellent choice)and you have even fitted in the Red Centre, Adelaide, Kangaroo Island and Melbourne.
Aug 16th, 2004, 03:19 PM

Kathi you have obviously done your homework and have come up with a super holiday.My only comment would be that it will be very hot at Sails in the Desert in November. If saving it for your next trip is feasible that may be something to think about. Have a great trip!
Aug 16th, 2004, 03:29 PM

Kathi, that's a fine itinerary, and if you don't change a single thing, I think you will have a great time. If it were my itinerary, however, I would take a night from the Uluru segment (it will be awfully hot there, lots of flies, and you will probably find that everything you want to see there can be seen in two days and one night) and give it to Sydney; then use two days and one night out of the beefed-up Sydney segment to take a trip to Canberra (only three hours each way by train). It's an under-visited city that should be of great interest to you. And, as great as Sydney is, you can "do" it comfortably in four days.

Have a wonderful time!
Aug 16th, 2004, 10:50 PM

Kathi,
I agree it's a terrific itinerary and you'll have a fantastic time. One thought for you: Melbourne is a great place to visit in the first week of November because it's the culmination of the Spring Racing Carnival and there's heaps to see and do, even if you're not interested in the gee-gees. It climaxes with the Melbourne Cup, run on the first Tuesday of November. If you can schedule it so you're in town then, I'd really recommend it.
Sep 20th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Kathi,

What is your trip costing you. Im trying get a comparison to what I want to do.

-Rahul
Sep 23rd, 2004, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

We've changed our itinerary a bit(no Hayman Island; 4 nights @ Lizard Island now; 1 night Sails in Desert; "buffer" of 1 night after Sydney and 1 night before Melbourne with no plans)

Unfortunately can't give you a cost estimate b/c all airfare(1st class from US-AUS and inter-AUS flights) are on FF miles; Park Hyatt Sydney; Adelaide Hyatt and Park Hyatt Melbourne are all free on Hotel points; rental car is free on points.
So, the only things we've paid for are the flights from Cairns to Lizard Island; 4 nights Lizard Island; 2 nights silky Oaks Lodge; and 1 night at Sails in the Desert. This was booked thru luxurydownunder.com.au at the prices quoted on the wedepending on room type)

Kathi
Jul 6th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Kathi, How was your trip to Lizard Island and the Silky Oaks Lodge? I am planning a similiar itinerary and would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks Jim
Jul 7th, 2005, 12:05 PM

I know I'm not Kathi, but we stayed at Silky Oaks for 2 nights and Lizard for 6 nights in late 2003 and both were fabulous! Please let me know if you have specific questions about them and I will try to answer them.
Jul 11th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Thankyou Nancy, We are planning on staying on Lizard Island and Silky Oaks but it is pretty expensive with 4 of us. The other option is to stay at Thala Beach resort in P.D. and do day trips to the reef and the rainforest. Any thoughts? Thanks Jim