Search

brisbane hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brisbane hotels

Going to Brisbane whilst husband is at a conference. We will be taking our 13 year old daughter and are thinking of a suite hotel. Be grateful for any comments on either the Sebel suites or the Rydges at southbank parklands. Are the Sebel suites in easy walking distance to the conference centre? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Julie
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:45 PM

Hi Julie
The Sebel Suites are in Charlotte St, about 2 blocks from the city centre and main shopping precinct. The conference centre is across the Brisbane River via Victoria Bridge. You would have a slight uphill walk to the bridge then mostly flat or downhill to the conference centre- I think about a 20 minute (very leisurely) walk that I would characterize as easy. Another alternative would be to take a Brisbane City Council bus which are cheap and regular at the times you would want to be travelling there. The hotel staff will be able to guide you on this. You'd be aware that Rydges at Southbank is right nearby the Conference Centre. It's not as new as The Sebel and would be more a hotel style. It is located near the Southbank precinct which is traffic free with restaurants and large manmade shallow swimming enclosure with
sandy beaches which your daughter might enjoy. However, overall there would be more of interest in the City where the Sebel Suites are. Have a look at whereis.com.au to get your bearings. Search for Charlotte St Brisbane then Grey Street, South Brisbane for the Conference Centre. You'll see they're not far apart.

Happy to answer any other queries you might have.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the reply, another place we were considering was the hillcrest appartment hotel, do you have any advice on that one? It doesn't look too far from the conference centre on the map but I know it can be deceptive sometimes.
Thanks again
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 03:00 AM

Still quite close to the Convention Centre, closer than the Sebel Suites, but to some extent a little more in suburbia than your first choice. There would however, be excellent city and river views. An uphill walk but really not demanding. For example, when attending an Australian Football game at The Brisbane Cricket Ground, which is beyond Hillcrest, we are more than happy to walk from the railway station at Southbank where the Convention Centre is located. (Sometimes we have to stop for liquid refreshments at one of the pubs along the way, but I see from your other posts you're from the UK so I'm sure you understand that.)
By the way, all is forgiven for taking the Rugby World Cup from us!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the reply, it is useful to have local knowlege. I think if we can we may book the Sebel. Is the rydges was more of a suite hotel that would be fine but I think we may need laundry facilites as we are going to be there for a week and then stopping over in Hong kong on the way back to England.
Thanks for the advice and glad there are no bad feelings about the rugby!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 05:30 PM

OK. It's a pleasure.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 12:04 AM

Doug, I usually stay at the Diana Hotel on South Annerley Street as close to where i have to go on business in South Brisbane, but it really is a bit pricey now, about AUD140, any suggestions for somewhere close by in that area? Nothing rough just a bit cheaper, Tks.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 05:13 PM

James,
when will you be here next? In which direction do you go from the Diana Plaza for business-towards the City or towards the Gabba? Do you have the luxury of delaying your hotel reservation until the last minute?I note from wotif.com.au that the Diana Plaza has their Deluxe room available for AUD99 for the next 3 nights and AUD105 for the subsequent 9.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks fro the advise Doug. I think we are going to go with the Sebel suites.I can't find out too much info about them but what I have read has been good. If anyone has stayed there , would love to know. The advantages of having laundry facilities etc in the suite seems to outway being closer to the convention center.( less clothes to take, more room for goodies in the case when we come home!) Thanks again Julie
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 09:11 AM

We stayed at the Quay Grand in front of the botanic gardens. It's a few blocks from the CBD. The gardens are lovely and the view from our suite was gorgeous. There was a fully equipped kitchen, washer, dryer etc. A very nice (though narrow) pool area and friendly staff. Would stay there again.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.Are they the same as the Quay West suites or is it a different property? Would it be much further to the conference centre on the south bank/
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 09:45 AM

Sorry it was the Quay West suites!
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,had looked at them but think the Sebel wil be a bit closer.