Narrowing down NZ 2d Honeymoon Itinerary for 3/05?

Jan 30th, 2004, 06:38 AM
hedgepath

Narrowing down NZ 2d Honeymoon Itinerary for 3/05?

Thanks to all who gave me suggestions for my last posting re: Australia and New Zealand.
My original idea was to just visit NZ -- but then when I was told that I would get one free stopover in Australia, I thought I would visit Australia. Now I am a bit worried that I may be biting off more than I can chew. I had hoped that if I travelled that far I could spend a few days in Australia. Would Sydney for 3 nights be worth it? Also, someone that replied to me said that supposedly the South Island is more "desirable" from the North Island? Any comments or suggestions? I plan to spend about 15 or 16 nights (not including travelling time) for the entire trip. We love gorgeous beaches and some city excitement and of course, natural wonders.
Help! Thanks.

Jan 30th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Hello Hedgepath,

It's me again.

I'm so glad you're leaning towards a more focused itinerary.

No, Sydney is not worth the detour, in my opinion. Sydney is a GORGEOUS city, one of the jewels of the world.

All the same, consider this. New Zealand (North and South Islands together) is approximately the same length as the entire west coast of the U.S.A. (Washington, Oregon and California -- from the Canadian border to the Mexican border). I suspect you would agree that if a foreign traveller went to the west coast of the U.S., they would have more than enough to keep them occupied for two weeks.

Now suppose that foreign traveller to the U.S. west coast heard of a beautiful city that was a 3 hour flight away. Let's pretend for a moment that Houston is beautiful. So this foreign traveller asks, "Well, since I've heard so many good things about Houston, wouldn't it be worth my while to make a detour to Houston?"

My answer to that hypothetical person would be the same as my answer to you, "No."

As to the specifics of NZ, I know there are plenty of folks around here with the right experience to answer your questions in that regard.
Jan 30th, 2004, 05:06 PM

I agree with Judy. While it's tempting to see as much as possible while down under, NZ and OZ are not as close as you might think.

As far as which island is more "desirable" than the other, I'd have to agree with your friend, but I'm biased. I've visited NZ five times, and have only seen the North Island once. Why? Because the South Island keeps drawing me back.

Don't get me wrong, the North Island has plenty to offer, but having been to both, I personally prefer the South.

Timewise, you can easily spend your 15-16 days on one Island. Even after several visits, my husband and I spent 28 days on the South Island this past fall, and we still want to see more.
Jan 31st, 2004, 08:45 AM

i'm going to dissent. you are already over the hump of the transpacific trip- 3 hours more to syndey- an easy flight- will land you in aboslutely the most spectacular city on earth. check your travel lists- people who have been all over the world choose sydney as their favorite place.
i love new zealand, BUT, you can easily trim several days of touring beautiful scebery there for a long weekend of arts and culture and excitement and a whole other country!
unless you are one of those people who deplores cities in favor of pure nature, i think you will find sydney has a lot to offer. trasnport into the cbd is a snap - direct rail from the airport lands you right at circular quay, and the direct flight from auckland is so easy!
i would gladly fly 17 hours for the view of the harbor and the opera house and the bridge at night...and then throw in a day trip to manly and you will never want to leave.
don't skip sydney!!!!!
Jan 31st, 2004, 10:36 AM

Kerkeri, I take your point. I too love Sydney. However, I hate to think of just nipping over to Sydney for a weekend or something like that. Sydney has so much to offer I really hate to think of anyone spending under 6 nights there. If you've been to NZ (which I haven't), perhaps you're in a position to answer this question. Do you think there's any merit in recommending to Hedgepath that she and Mr. Hedgepath go to South Island for 9-10 nights and Sydney for 6 nights?
Feb 1st, 2004, 05:14 PM

My husband & I went to NZ & Australia a couple of years ago for our 20th anniversary. Neither of us had been to that area of the world before and we wanted to see some of both countries. New Zealnad is wonderful...people, scenary and a great sort of country feel. Sydney is a big city but still a foreign city with loads of fun things to do...and we stayed at the Hyatt at The Rocks on Sydney Harbor...got a fantastic rate with our US hotel discount Frequent stay membership...the hotel is right on the harbor under teh Sydney bridge and within walking distance of many sights, ferries, restraunts and the Opera house. Our room looked out on the harbor opera house and "The Bounty" the ship used in the movie. It was fine for easing us into the return to home and the hubbub. My vote NZ majority of the time & Sydney for 3 days before returning home.
Feb 2nd, 2004, 02:00 PM
Doh

I would vote for a stopover in Sydney too (and staying in the South Island), but I am really posting to register a complaint about any post that compares Sydney--one of the greatest cities in the world, IMHO-- with Houston!

One possible way to think about it is to map out an itinerary for the South Island assuming a few days in Sydney and see if it there are things you really want to do that you can't that way (I'm not sure that would work for me, but maybe you're better at planning itineraries )

p.s. no offense intended to any Houston fodorites.