Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Boston travelling to Sydney for wedding (with/without 2½ yr old?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just heard that we will be travelling to Sydney for a wedding next Dec (2005) and looking for any advise as we start the planning stage. We have an 18 month old boy who will be 2½ by then. We can (reluctantly) leave him with Grammy (very willing!) for 2 weeks but would consider taking him - any experience with this?
Flight BOS via LAX to Sydney - 22hr.....Yikes.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Do youself a favour and make it Boston - Hawaii ( or Tahiti or Fiji - stopover) then on to Sydney. Talk to your doctor and ask about taking a little one with you because although some are quite ok others have trouble with their ears and have a dreadful flight ( as does everyone around including the parents).
I think I would tend towards leaving him with Grammy because all Grannies love to have them to themselves and then you two can have a great time as it just won't be the flight that you will have to consider him but for everything else as well on the holiday.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Konaldirsta, as a granny may I suggest that LizF has a very valid point.

Little ones do get ear troubles traveling on long flights.

And grandma's do have the most beautiful time with their granchild and grandchildren with their grandparents.

IMHO you you will have an easier trip, bonding between the grandmother and grandchild will be precious.

And do have a beautiful trip to Sydney and at the wedding.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 07:11 PM
mjs

This is an easy question to answer. Leave your son with Grammy. He will not appreciate the trip and children between the ages of 2 and 3 usually go through a very difficult stage. Would not have wanted to go on such a long trip with my children at that age. Let Grammy pamper him as only a Grandparent can and enjoy your long.... trip.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Hi,
I can't speak for Australia, but we traveled to Okinawa, Japan (where we live now) with our 20 month old and it took her about 5 days to adjust to the time change...The flight actually went great..she was super, but the 5 days of adjustment was with one grumpy little girl. We are flying to Australia in mid February with her now (2 years old)..but there is only a 2 hour time change between here and there.
Shelly
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 03:23 AM

Firstly. Is your son included in the wedding invitation? If he isn't and you decide to bring him with you, who will look after him while you are at the wedding and later at the reception?
That has a bearing on your initial choices.

Now, I agree with leaving him with grammy. As I'm one myself my comments are not biased in anyway shape or form.

Leaving your son with Grammy, will make your time here more enjoyable, unless you are the type of person who cannot spend any time away from their child without fretting. And please, that is not a 'put down' comment. Some people just can't bear to be away from their children and don't enjoy themselves at all when they are.
I'm just glad that I'm not in your 'decision making' shoes.
You have to go with your 'gut feeling' and be confident with it.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 02:53 PM

We just got back from our trip of 18 days in New Zealand and 3 days in Sydney with a 20 month old. It was great. Sure, we could have done more without him, but I was not willing to leave him behind. Sydney was great. We went to the Koala Park. He loved the kangaroos. Darling Harbour was even better. They have one of the best playgrounds I've ever seen. Plus the aquarium was a hit - it was too crowded, but we were there on the holiday weekend. There was plenty for us to do.
As for the flight, we had no problems. We bought him a seat, and had an overnight flight. He slept better than we did. I was coming from San Francisco. Honestly, I think the flight from Boston to LAX will be worse, because he'll sleep on the overnight portion.
My son did great on switching timezones too. I wanted to keep him on NZ time, but he adjusted immediately to Sydney time. On the flight back, we went through our bedtime routine, and he went to sleep at 6PM Sydney time. He was adjusted back even before we got home.
My kid is pretty flexible. You will know if your child can handle the changes better than I can. But I think it is definitely do-able.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 01:05 PM
ned

The question I'd ask is will you enjoy the trip without your son? We travelled to the UK with two boys, aged 3 and 18 months and they were fine. As for jet lag, they adjusted quicker tp the new time aone than we did. As for ears (and they have flown alot as we have lived along way away from family for 5 years) our routine is to have them checked out 5 to 7 days before flying. If there is a problem, then that usually leaves enough time to clear it up.