Search

NZ for Kids

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NZ for Kids

Thinking of taking our 6 year old son to NZ and wondered which of the 2 islands is best for kids of his age? He likes theme parks, beach activities, Puffing Billy type train rides, science museums, childrens petting farms, zoo's/wildlife parks etc. Which of the 2 islands has the best beaches?
Thanks
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Hi NeilS, we took 2 kids for 18 days in the south islands. They were 5.5 and 3 at the time and we did it in a motorhome. They had a great time almost everywhere, but if I have to point out kids-related activities that would be: The puzzling world in Wanaka. We came back day after day. Shantytown on the west coast is nice. We saw a family of sea lions in a place called Surat Bay on the Catlins and were able to approach up to a few meters from them. The art cneter and the Antarctic center in Christchurch are lovely. In Milford sound we saw seals on the boat tour (take a small one and and early one, afterwards it is packed with croeds. The swinging bridge on Buller Gorge is nice if you are around. When we were in Kaikoura there were no cruises due to the weather, but it should be nice. Glow worms is interesting, and there are lovely parks in almost every town (Picton and Omarau are just examples). On the way you will see many deer farms. And ofcourse - the nature. The lakes are amazing, the mountains, the sea, everything. Our kids had the best of time and we did some nice day hikes. I would recommend a motorhome, it is a very strong and positive experience, besides the obvious comforts. Let me know if I can be of any further help.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 03:30 PM

I just got back from NZ with my 20 month old. We had a great time. There were lots of things that would have been even better with an older child.

I agree with the other post:
Wanaka's Puzzling World was a blast! I couldn't pull my husband out of the lobby. The 3-D Maze was a lot of fun too.
International Antarctic Center in Christchurch was amazing. He will love the Haggland ride. The blizzard room was too scary for my son, but a 6 year old would love it.
Milford Sound, the glaciers were both amazing.
Queenstown and Rotorua both have Luge rides. We had so much fun with them.
Sheepworld in Warkworth was the farm tour we took, but there were lots of them all over.
I understand the Hamilton Zoo is nice - we had to repair a campervan refrigerator instead, so we missed that.
Glowworm caves
Penguin Sanctuary in Dunedin
Cadbury World in Dunedin
Te Papa museum in Wellington - good children's section
If you are going to choose one island, definitely do the south island. We didn't do the beaches there, except for a day in Wanaka, so I can't really comment on the beaches.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 03:10 PM

Hi There

What time of year are you looking at travelling.

If you are here in the winter months beaches will be out anyway unless you like your sea water cool. (In saying that though I remember seeing the English rugby team swimming at Paihia in August, so go figure).

The best beaches are in the Northern parts of both Islands. In the South Island from Nelson west round through Golden Bay the beaches are the best. On the North Island the beaches from Bay of Islands north to Karekare peninsula are the best. (Matai Bay on the end of Karekare Peninsula is stunning and safe swimming too).

There are exceptions. Along the East coast of the North Island there are some good beaches. Some suggestions heading south from Whangarei (and easily accessible), Uretiti (watch out for the nudists ha ha)Mangawhai, Pakiri, Leigh, Orewa. Then in the Northern suburbs of Auckland you have all the East Coast Bays beaches such as Browns Bay, Takapuna, Milford.

Accross the Harbour into the city you have the city beaches at Kohimarama, Mission Bay, St Helliers. All these city beaches are very good for kids as they are relatively flat.

On the east coast of the Coromandel Peninsula there are beaches such as Hot Water, Whitianga, Whangamata. Further down the coast you have Waihi, Mount Maunganui, Ohope.

Much further south of Gisborne and the beaches are not so great and access to the good ones is not so easy unless you are making them a destination.

These beaches above are but a tiny fraction of the the ones you could visit and are included above due to there ease of access from main highways. There are countless others, after all the coastline of New Zealand is in excess of 9,800 miles in length.

For Zoo's I would recommend Auckland Zoo for kids, ours love it, as well as Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium. That is only if you are in Auckland of course.

If you are in the South Island there is a wildlife park just outside Christchurch called Orana Park. I understand it is quite good. Never been there myself though.

The other suggestions made on here are very useful. You will find though that you will have to pick and choose where to go as most attractions are scattered thoughout the country.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:02 PM

How about the Gold Coast of Australia instead?....All those things, save perhaps science museums. Theme parks...Sea World, Dreamworld, Wet'n'Wild, Movie World. Wildlife parks...Currumbin Bird Sanctuary (heaps more than just birds), Fleys Fauna, to name a couple. Magnificent beaches with surf and a great climate.