Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Best Western Melbourne? Or other suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking to book for our Aug 5-8 portion of our trip in Melbourne. We're thinking that since we're short on time, we should try and stay closer to the CBD instead of one of the neighborhoods. I have been on wotif and similar sites and am looking for something no more than 150 AUD/nt.

Considering the Best Western Melbourne, which I guess is new. Anyone know of it or its location? It is on Queen and Little Collins.

The others we thought may be good:

Atlantis Hotel
Knightsbridge Apts
Robinsons in the City
Magnolia Court
Hotel Causeway
Best Western Melbourne
Saville City Suites

Also open to other suggestions. Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:28 PM

I'm looking for a Melbourne Hotel for October. This hotel, promoted as "Melbourne’s latest Four Star Hotel" with "newly refurbished rooms," is available at www.wotif.com for as low as AUD 93 for a three night minimum stay. You can book this rate for stays through August 9. It's non cancellable and nonrefundable. Did you check Trip Advisor for reviews?
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Wotif is quoting me 119 for the first night and 109 the other 2 nights, which is a good deal. Tripadvisor doesn't have any reviews for it, which is one of the reasons I'm asking here.

Best Western has a map and it appears that it is in between E. Melbourne and the Spencer Street area, which I think is pretty central...but I'm hoping someone can give me more help here.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 01:53 AM

It's certainly in a good location - particularly for the price. Queen St doesn't have trams and is primarily a business street, so it should be reasonably quiet. You may also want to look at the Travelodge at Southbank. It's right within the Southbank precinct and only about a 5 min walk to the centre of the city.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 03:48 AM

Last year, we stayed at the Hotel Ibis Melbourne on Therry Street <http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhote...otel.shtml> and found that it offers a good combination of location (CBD), and value. I might add that tour busses will pick you up and drop you off at this hotel. It has moderately prices, a restaurant downstairs and is within one block of a 7-11 store (for snacks) and a really cheap internet cafe.

I think it meets your budget requirements and is centrally located. Good luck!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 04:17 AM

The Best Western is not new - it was the RACV Club before it moved to the new building. We stayed late last year and it was OK. Handy to the city. It may have been renovated since then.
Robinsons in the City is a short walk to the city circle free tram that you can get on and off whenever you like. The rooms we have stayed in are large with king beds. No ensuite bathroom but your own modern private bathroom just out your door . Good cooked breakfast too.
Magnolia Court is not as convenient to the city and when we stayed there was a little tired and shabby. Cooked breakfast was included but not sure if that is the case now.
Friends stayed at Rendezvous Hotel ( formerly Duxton ) in Flinders St recently and liked it. Close to city, parks and on city circle tram line.
Hope this helps
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

So not directly on the tram route, but a close walk to the tram route? Is this also a place tour busses would pick up? Thanks for the help so far...I'll check out all of your recs!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM

We stayed at the Knightsbridge, and were very happy there. A block from a tram line that takes you to the CBD in minutes, and it was VERY quiet. Plus East Melbourne is a beautiful neighborhood to stroll around in, with lovely verandahs and trees. There's a supermarket close by, which will save you a fortune on breakfasts. As for the room, it was pretty bland and featureless, but modern and comfortable. The full bathtub was a relief after long hot days of walking, too.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 09:20 PM

As Jillyf explained the Best Western is indeed the old RACV club and needs some updating of facilities. If you are looking for central accommodation that provides more than a just room, I suggest that you look at the Metro Apartments on Bank Place, very central on a pedestrianised (?spelling) street with restaurants, bars etc. Another option up the other end of town (in Chinatown actually) would be the Somerset Gordon Place it is in Little Bourke St, lots of eating options and a block away from the theatres. A third option is the Pacific International apartments also in Little Bourke Street, beside Myer and opposite the GPO building which is no longer a Post Office but a fairly up market shopping precinctwith cafes, bars and designer clothing.These three options all provide self contained accomodation, cooking laundry etc, are close to all public transport and should all be available within your budget.
Don't forget that there is there is now the free Melbourne Tourist Shuttle which runs every 15 minutes every day from 10am to 4pm and is a hop on, hop off bus route coverin 15 different attractions. This in addition to the free City Circle tram.
see www.thatsmelbourne.com.au
Trust this is helpful
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Yes, this is all helpful. The Best Western site says that they have refurbished this hotel, but maybe it is not enough yet? I am checking out all of these and some are already, unfortunately, booked. Happy to get any and all suggestions!