Australia/New Zealand weather in January

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Lois

Australia/New Zealand weather in January

I'm beginning to shop for clothes for the trip, and want to pack as lightly as possible. What kind of weather should I expect? I realize it is summer, but just how warm? And, for New Zealand, how cool is the south island usually. We will be spending about two weeks in each location. For Australia, we'll just be in Sydney and surrounding areas. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Paul S

Hi Lois,<BR><BR>Expect daytime temps in the high 20's low 30's for Sydney at that time of year. However I have a feeling that this year we may see some high 30's low 40's in January as we are already experining unusually warm weather and we do have a major drought happening in the interior of the country.<BR><BR>Night time temps should be in the high teens low 20's. Oh these temps are in degrees celcius.<BR><BR>I would make sure your have light loose fiting clothing and a pair of thongs would not go astray for the beach areas otherwise a good pair of joggers that let your feet breath would be ideal. Also don't forget your sunglasses and a good wide brimmed hat and some 15+ sunscreen.<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>Paul S

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:00 PM
margo

Lois<BR><BR>Sydney in January will be hot and humid usually, with a fair chance of some rain (but who can tell these days).<BR><BR>NZ South Island will not be as hot or humid - but when I was there, short sleeve shirts were enough. Of course, as NZ is further south, you should take a warm, preferably rain-proof jacket, and at least one change of warm clothes.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:09 AM
pat

Was there last Feb. Australia was very hot while NZ was cool and rainy. Bring a light rain coat. I did and sure used it. My friend didn`t and she looked like a drowned rat on more than one occasion.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Lois

Thanks for the advice. I did a double take when I saw the temperatures, till I realized it is Celcius. I guess I'm going to have to figure that one out! The clothing suggestions are appreciated. I just got a good pair of walking/hiking sandals for both my husband and myself. My only reservation regarding dress, is whether to pack something a bit nicer for the opera, or to go more casual than I would normally be inclined to do. Also, thanks for the suggestion to be prepared for rain. Hadn't really thought about that, and will be spending about a week and a half on the south island. I'm assuming the north island will be more similar to Sydney. I think I'd rather pack light and then buy whatever extra I might end up needing. Thanks again. I'm really looking forward to this trip!