Australia in late December and January

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australia in late December and January

Hi, fellow travelers
I am planning to go to Australia this coming December. I have heard that it is high season and accomodation bookings are necessary . In addition, to prices be really high, people say that it is impossible to swim in the ocean beacuse of the poisonous jellyfish. I have budgeted 100 dollards per day, but still do not know if it is going to be enough. Among the places I want to visit I have Sydney, Melbourne and Cairns. Are ther any other places I should visit. I have about 18 days for this trip. Sometimes I have second thoughts about it because people say Austalia is really pricy in thsi time of the year and the problems with stingers in Cairns. Any advice or information will be appreciated.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:33 PM

School holidays in Australia start mid December and finish around the end of January. This together with it being summer and Christmas/New Year in the middle make it high season in a lot of places.

If you are a bit more specific in your post with regards to the type of accommodation and activities you would like to do while in Oz you will get more replies.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:20 PM

School Holidays start on December 21/22 on the east coast and prices at the big holiday resorts are more expensive. December, Jan. & Feb. are the holiday months in Australia and the resorts, as in every other part of the world, want to cash in on the season. In Europe it is June, July & August. So it is nothing out of the ordinary. However quite good holiday deals are available in the capital cities after Christmas especially at some of the major hotels so do a bit of research and book. Australia has countless kilometers of wonderful beaches and while some do have bluebottles and other nasties, it depends a lot on tides, weather etc. so don't let that put you off. You will find always find a great beach and swim between the flags. Most major beaches have life savers and warnings are usually issued. Impossible to swim in the Ocean? What a load of garbage. Don't believe everything you hear, come and find out for yourself. You will have a marvellous time and you have chosen some great places.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:35 PM

think OP is referring to coastline around mid-north Queensland for marine stingers, but teacher1936, with reasonable precautions, you'll be safe. After all, many hundreds of thousands, including children live here and don't get stung. Its about the best time to visit Great Barrier Reef, it will be hot in northern tropics and this is summer. Hire a stinger suit on your reef trips if you're at all worried. It will also protect you from sun, there's a far greater chance of bad sunburn than a jellyfish sting.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 05:29 PM

teacher1936,
Follow Pat's advice. It is no hotter in north Queensland than in most of Australia at that time of year and the Atherton Tablelands are generally cooler than all the capital cities. Hobart gets colder but can also be much hotter. I would book if you have a definate itinerary in mind but if you are prepared to go to the smaller towns and travel on occasionally then a flexible plan would still work.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:56 AM

The jelly fish up in Cairns and the barrier reef are dangerous but they dont actully go in to the reef so its fine to go out there just wear a suit just in case.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:47 AM

There is no problem swimming in the great beaches in Sydney and near Melbourne.

$100 a day is a little tight unless you are looking at hostels and backpackers. You can also look at onsite vans in caravan parks and motels.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Sydney is wonderful and no box jelly fish to worry about, but go to Queensland as well, especially The Sunshine Coast. It is the high season here, but depending where you are from it may not be so dear. Is 100 dollars US dollars or Aussie Dollars?