Christmas holliday

Oct 28th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Joe Henehan

Christmas holliday

My Wife & I + our 20yr old son (from Ireland)are going to visit our daughter in Sydney on 22nd Dec. We plan to stay in Sydney untill 27th Dec, Then Fly to Cairns Hire a car there(for 19 days) & drive back to Brisbane(& fly from Brisbane to Sydney). My question is ..will we be able to find accomodation along the way without pre booking.. (Cabins in camp sites, or B&B or Hostels .or ANYWHERE ) for example as we dont Know where we will be on any particular night

Oct 29th, 2002, 10:13 AM
margo

G'day Joe
I'm not too sure about Northern Queensland, but I would be a bit anxious travelling in this period without reservations. This is absolute peak season, and everyone heads for the coast.
You may be lucky, but I think I'd be doing a bit of homework and try and organise at least some accommodation.

Nov 3rd, 2002, 12:38 PM
liz

You should not have any trouble in Queensland at that time of year as its the low season. Of course you will get a car with good airconditioning and make sure that any accommodation has airconditioning too - that will probably exclude a lot of B&Bs I would think.
Most Pubs in Australia offer accommodation which although not 5 star is usually very clean and convenient. They don't necessarily advertise accommodation so if you are in a town just go in and ask and also ask to see the accommodation before you commit yourself, as this is quite acceptable. If you are a member of AA or its equivalent in Ireland then you can get reciprical help in Australia/Queensland through the R.A.C.Q which would mean you can get maps, accommodation bookings etc etc. It may pay you to buy a R.A.C.Q. accommodation travel guide which would help with information about Cabins at Caravan Parks etc. Many of those Parks have either on site vans or Cabins and some are really great.
HTHs Liz

Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:06 PM
coastgirl

Contrary to the reply from Liz, December and January (summer)are peak season (not low season)in Queensland and you will need to book accommodation in advance especially in the tourist areas.

I agree with her advice with regards to the RACQ. Try their web site at www.racq.com.au

Also remember that the weather will be extremely hot especially in Cairns where it is also extremely humid as well.

Nov 4th, 2002, 01:36 PM
liz

I am sorry Coast Girl but I beg to differ with you, it is NOT peak season in North Queensland at that time of year. You could shoot a cannon down the streets of Cairns in January and not hit anyone.
Further south in Qld, i.e. Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and Brisbane it is peak season but not the tropical north.