COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Brisbane/Gold Coast January 2014

Old Oct 4th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Brisbane/Gold Coast January 2014

Still thinking about where to go for five days January 6th - Jan 11th, Have never been to the Gold Coast, or Brisbane area. Just wondering whether it will be too hot, especially for spending a day at Australia Zoo. Temperatures here in Nelson this time of year about 24-28C, with low humidity.

Is this a good idea or not, or better to do it in the cooler months.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 10:37 PM

I don't think it ever really gets unbearably hot on the Gold Coast, Nelsonian. More likely to be wet, if anything untoward. That's the time when the tail of the FNQ cyclones
often form into a heavy rain pattern for SE Qld & Northern NSW.

That, and the fact that it's bang in the middle of the Christmas school holidays, would probably make me choose another time if you can swing it.

I've had lots of Christmases & New Years on the GC. Some have been perfect weather and others have been so wet we had to take a detour to get in or out.
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 03:53 PM

Another reason to consider giving the GC a miss - it's just not as nice or classy as other nearby coastal areas. More raunchy, brassy, crass even, than, for example, the sunshine coast north of Brisbane. Look at the Noosa region - lots of nice beaches and a fine hinterland also.
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Yes I have heard that it is better to go to the Sunshine Coast, I also want to go to Australia Zoo at some point. Probably best to go a different time of year.
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 07:02 PM

It'll be just wet in Noosa and there's a lot more to the GC than Cavill Avenue & theme parks.

Good plan to come at another time, Nelsonian.
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 10:51 PM

I've spent a lot of time in SE Queensland - in-laws on the Gold Coast. Agree the Sunshine Coast is nice, but would say the Gold Coast's hinterland is superior, in fact one of my favorite regions in Australia.
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 12:49 AM

I live close to Australia Zoo, and it's not something I would be keen to do in January.... a) heat & humidity (think 35+) b) school holidays and c) rain season.

If you have a chance to come a different time I would do that. March is lovely. It's not so much the heat here that's the killer, but the humidity.
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will just have to wait until I get some more leave, which will be after June next year. Maybe July or August.
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 02:39 AM

Hi nelsonian - as a Gold Coast local I have to agree with Bokhara - there's so much to the GC. There are some fabulous beach spots and some wonderful places such as Broadbeach for some wonderful dining options. The hinterland can leave you speechless. There is so much to see and do and it's so versatile that you can have sun, surf,sand, fun, excitement and night life all in one day.

But maybe not over Christmas/new year period.
But please come and visit us soon.