2 weeks in Australia in Jan.

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks in Australia in Jan.

We would like to spend a week in Sydney (starting Jan. 15) and I originally thought we would go to Cairns/Pt. Douglas but have been advised it will simply be too hot. No fun burning your feet on hot sand.
Looking for suggestions for the second week.
Melbourne? Blue Mountains,Hunter Valley?
Other suggestions?
If someone could lay out a second week itinerary for us it would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:24 AM

If I had a week in January in Australia, I'd go to Tasmania. We were there for 5 days and it just wasn't enough time. The flora, fauna and history of this island are unique. Also, the weather should be really nice.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:53 PM

I wonder what you mean by "too hot". January is the midddle of Summer, but Feb. is usually the very hot month. Cairns/Pt.Douglas would be ideal. Tassie can also be very hot at that time of the year and whatever it's virtues it doesn't have the Great Barrier Reef, an absolute must see! Take advice from the locals.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:19 PM

Too hot depends on you. Hobart gets hotter than Cairns many years and hotter that the Atherton Tablelands on all but one year, 2002 I think.

The reef waters are warm but it is still possible for people to get hypothermic with a day of snorkling.

The Tablelands are at least cool at night.

On the other hand the wet might start early and you could be rained in the whole time you are in the north. Warm rain though. We just take off all the clothes it is socially acceptable to do and go about our business. Umbrellas are better than raincoats in the heat.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:48 PM

You can burn your feet on hot sand on most Australian beaches in high summer.

Whilst January will certainly be hot in Cairns/Port Douglas, daily average temps about 23C min to 31C max, its more or less constant and not subject to mad fluctuations of 40C+ which happen regularly in most of the major cities.

Unless there's a cyclone about (recent years have seen them coming later than January, if they come at all) you should have ideal reef conditions. Most of the best reef trips I've ever done were in January with surface water like glass and very clear underwater visibility.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 06:03 AM

I guess I have to ask "advised by whom"?

I mean it can get pretty hot in Sydney too in January. The difference is a few degrees. Lots more humid in Cairns though, and more rain. But unlikely to rain all day, and those tropical storms (as long as they don't get out of hand) are amazing to watch and experience.

Tassie is wonderful too. I guess I'm just saying be sure of the accuracy of the info you have been given.

And for the record the hottest I have ever been in Australia wasn't where you would have expected it to be. It was Sydney New Years Day, closely followed by Melbourne one day in April some years ago. Several degrees above the high temps in WA in the summer, and fleeting. But it does happen.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 09:57 PM

We were in Australia for a month this past January and we found Cairns/Palm Cove/Port Douglas to be the highlight of our trip. It was so beautiful and not at all hot(no burnt toes...lol). No hotter than the rest of the places we stayed at along the Queensland Coast. You should really reconsider. I call Palm Cove my happy place when I'm feeling down. Some of our best memories of Australia were in this area. It really is worth it to go there!