Search

Aussie chiller hats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie chiller hats

I have read about Aussie chiller hats which I read can be soaked with cold H2O and will keep you quite cool. We are going to Oz in December which means it's hot there so I would like one. We will be in Brisbane and Sydney. Any one know where or if I can get one there?

Thank you.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 12:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I've never heard of them, Jacketwatch

May be something you can get in camping shops. I do have a neck scarf filled with crystals that can be wet, to keep cool. I use that occasionally when I'm trekking.

Highly unlikely you would need one in Sydney or Brisbane - but in these days of unpredictable weather, who knows.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

I hear its pretty hot there in December. Not so?
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 01:23 PM

<<I hear its pretty hot there in December. Not so?>>

Depends on what hot is - it's not Texan or (worse) Arizonan.

But google Aussie chiller hats and you'll get a ton of results.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 01:28 PM

Hot is relative. December in Sydney & Brisbane is usually between 20's - 30's Celsius, with the odd spike up to high 30's & down to the teens.

If you're coming from a northern hemisphere winter, you are likely to find it hot for a few days at least. If you're coming from S.E. Asia, it will feel cooler.

Away from the coastal areas from Sydney & Brisbane, it can be a lot hotter.

Have a look at www.bom.gov.au

Put it this way - I'm a local, would not bother with one of those hats & don't imagine their having a huge market here. If I were going to Uluru, I might.

I do, however, use 30+ sunscreen, wear a lightweight straw hat & sunglasses when I'm outdoors.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Hey Russ. I actually did and a seller just got back to me and it turns out they are made in or near Brisbane but are mostly for export to the US.

In fact he told he there is a store 4 mi. from me, a PGA superstore.

I just looked up average temps for these two cities and was surprised to see they are less warm than I thought for December though Brisbane is supposed to hit 96 on Friday.

Still want that hat!! .
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

True Bokhara2 heat is relative to what you are used to. What alarmed me was that our niece who came to Oz from India where she was used to scorching temps in Rajasthan did complain about the heat there. Go figure. She used to be in Sydney and Canberra but job situation has them now in Brisbane.

Anyway here in the Chicago area we have set records for this time of yr. for high temps which have hit 90'sF for 5-6 days in a row.

I hae a Tilley hat BTW and I do find it to be helpful when its hot out. its way better on the golf course than a traditional baseball cap.

I have had it for 7yrs., wears like iron and is guaranteed for life, Its a Canadian company and when I first got it it was used by the Aussie army.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 02:34 PM

Just bring the Trusty Tilley, Jacketwatch

You will hear all manner of hysterical & alarmist stories about Australia. Usually on the same spectrum of credibility as what we hear would have us believe everyone in the US walks the streets armed to the teeth with an arsenal of guns.

I agree with you on the utter uselessness of "baseball caps" as sun protection.

I take my folding straw hat with me just about everywhere too. It's cool, does the job & isn't too disreputable. Yet.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 02:45 PM

If your niece is used to dry heat, the humidity in Sydney in February & up north may have done her in.

I lived in far north west NSW, where summer heat well "over the ton" (100F/ 40'sC) was the norm - and dry heat. I really noticed the difference when I was in Sydney in during a humid spell - and still get whacked by the humidity in SE Asia & FNQ ( Far North Queensland)

Do take the advice about using good quality Australian sun screen seriously. Our sun is deceptively strong and you can get burnt very quickly. We have the unenviable record as the world' melanoma & skin cancer capital.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Yes she lived in Raj. which is basically desert so it was dry.

Thanks for the tip about sunscreen. I did not consider that.

All the best.

Larry, .
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 03:46 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
<<Depends on what hot is - it's not Texan or (worse) Arizonan.>>

I beg to differ. I've lived in Texas and I've lived in Australia.
I've never been as hot as I was the seven summers I spent in Western Australia and that's from someone who has also lived in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Indonesia!

Australia can get bloody hot in the summer and unlike Texas (and Saudi Arabia & Kuwait), it's much harder to escape the heat - at least in my experience. By that I mean in many parts of Australia, air con is the exception, not the rule, even in cafes, shops and many restaurants.

Yes, the climate is different in different parts of the country, but you'd do best to prepare for very hot weather, and feel very lucky if you don't get it.

As mentioned above, sun block, sunglasses and a good hat are your best friend. And if you'll be doing any hiking, you might also want a fly net.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 04:24 PM

I've sweltered in Perth heat too, Melnq8 - hanging out for the "Freo Doctor" I've also frozen my wotzits off in St George's Tce mid-winter gales.

When I lived in the country, we all had air conditioning, but here on the northern beaches in Sydney, I don't have it & rarely even need a fan. If I lived in he western suburbs, I'd have an air conditioner.

It'll be interesting to see what our OP thinks when he's here.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

I'll def let you know.

We were in Singapore 2/2016 and I thought it would be warmer, harder to take than it was really.

Be smart, dress for it, drink a lot of H2O, wear light colored clothing, take it easy. For me it's got to be cotton. Those stay dri new fabrics just don't do it for me
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 08:29 PM

It's hats with brims and sunscreen for everyone in Oz- schools even in "cold" Victoria have compulsory wide brim hats for primary children from September to May because of high UV and many have compulsory sunscreen.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 06:35 AM

<<I beg to differ. I've lived in Texas and I've lived in Australia.
I've never been as hot as I was the seven summers I spent in Western Australia and that's from someone who has also lived in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Indonesia!>>

He asked about Sydney and Brisvegas, not Perth or Melbourne (which is routinely in or near 100 during the Open). Thus, I answered his question - they're not Texas or Arizona hot.

JW - the google quickie search I did popped up a ton(ne) of golf shops. Evidently US duffers like these lids.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Yep, thanks Russ, I found out it's about 5 miles away at one of the PGA superstar franchises. Gonna check it out today.

Thank you,
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 03:05 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Bokhara - oh yes, I remember well the St Georges wind tunnel!
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

I saw a few styles of these hats yesterday. Not bad but they were rather stiff and I am not sure how they would hold up to being packed away in a suitcase if I so chose to do so whereas my Tilley would be fine if I packed it so I'll pass.

Thanks for all the help but as Bokhara2 said go with the trusted Tilley which actually is a great hat. It will last a lifetime.

Cheers, Larry .