Is January ok for Sydney?

Apr 6th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Is January ok for Sydney?

My husband and I want to go to Australia from Dec. 30 -Jan. 14th (or so). We plan to spend a few days in Sydney and the Blue Mountains and then maybe take the train to Adelaide and the wine country surrounding. ANy suggestions for an additional itinerary (considering the holiday crowds) would be appreciated. We thought we might take the train to Alice Springs. Is it too hot and how about the flies? Any suggestions would be appreciated.! Carolynb
Apr 6th, 2003, 05:17 PM

January is a fantastic time for Sydney. Its Festival time, long, warm evenings, great beach weather. It rarely gets above 30C on the coast or in the Blue Mtns.
Apr 6th, 2003, 07:47 PM

Forget Alice Springs in summer or anywhere else in the interior. Tasmania would be lovely and the weather should be pleasant as well.
It really depends on what you really like to do.
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:57 AM

Hi, Carolymb!
Loke LizF, I would question the wisdom of the train trip to Alice Springs, not only because it is NOT a good time of year to go inland, but because this is a long and expensive journey, and unless you have a lot of time on your hands, it just does not represent a good use of your precious vacation time.... the scenery rolls on for hours, and then days, and nothing much changes.
January is full of great holiday activities in Sydney, but whether you will enjoy it or not will depend on where you're coming from.... January in Sydney is hot and bright, and really better in the evenings when the heat has gone out of the day... you'll love strolling around in the long twilight. I don't think the crowds will matter much... foe everyone who comes to Sydney in January, there's a Sydneysider going interstate. As long as you hug the coast, you won't find either the flies or the heat too bad, but my strong advice to you is to do just that: hug the coast and don't go any further west than the Blue Mountains. Oh, and wear a hat and sunglasses at all times. Have a great holiday!
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:51 PM

Like the others, I wouldn't recommend the train journeys. The trip to Adelaide takes 2 days, and to the Alice even longer. And the scenery is not spectacular. This is not a little country. If you want to go to either of these places, fly. (I wouldn't want to go to the Centre in January!)

Look at qantas.com.au or virginblue.com.au for airfares.

Sydney is fun in January - hot and humid and lots to see and do. Hats and sunblock essential!
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:46 PM

January is perfect . We spent New Year's week in Sydney. Only one day of drizzle. Spent the other days at the beaches...loved Bondi and Manly.

Also visited the GBR and loved every minute of it.

Go, you'll love Oz.