Search

Oh No! Everything Closed?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh No! Everything Closed?!

I just realized that I'm going to be in Melbourne and Sydney on Good Friday, Easter Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Will everything be closed? Restaurants? Zoo? Malls?<BR><BR>I know most countries aren't like the US where everything is open everyday except Thanksgiving and X-mas. But I'd hate to think I just spent $2000+ and everything is closed!<BR><BR>Thanks for you help!<BR>
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 03:44 PM

Hi. I will be in Auckland easter weekend. I am going to NZ first and then to Oz. Before I booked my ticket I checked with New Zealand tourist info, I was told that everything will be closed Good Friday and Easter Sunday, but Monday will be business as usual. If you can check with Sydney/Melbourne tourist info, they should be able to let you know whats open/closed. Remember, in Australia and New Zealand there are two weeks of school holidays around this time, so book accomadation in advance. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 06:00 PM

It will depend where you are in Australia. I live near the Gold Coast and just about everything is open 364 days and that includes shops. However each state is different from the other and I am sure you will find that most places are open. If anything it will only be Good Friday that is effected. <BR>
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 06:10 PM

I am in rural New South Wales which is different from the city - but most shops, including the large supermarket chains, are closed Good Friday and Easter Sunday - and Monday there will be more open, but not all.<BR>I think you will find that Sydney will be much the same, because of the penalty rates that have to be paid to staff to work on the designated public holidays rather than the religious significance.<BR>I would expect tourist attractions, Zoos etc. might be closed Good Friday but open all the other days.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:06 AM

Good friday expect most things to be closed but come saturday business as usual,sunday slows down it is a long weekend so family type places are open. Melbourne is very much alive during the easter holidays as it is also school holidays, monday most things would be open although not all.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:26 AM

We have seven day shopping here in Auckland, in fact the hours are far longer than in Europe as I was to find out last year and Easter sunday, there will be most things open including all tourist attractions.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:58 PM

On Good friday everthing except the the Zoo will be closed (it's open every day). I'm sure that there will be restaurants open as well in the city or Southbank. Easter Saturday is a normal trading day in melbourne - so everything will be open. The government has just changed the law regarding trading on Easter Sunday and the shops will be closed - but everything else will be open.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 04:13 PM

Just to let you know that if you are still in Australia on Friday April 25 that this is also a public holiday for ANZAC Day. <BR><BR>You could try checking the individual web sites for the Zoo, Malls etc. to see if they will be open.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 12:55 PM

Hello,<BR><BR>Hope I can be of some asistance to you. I live in Sydney and can assure you our zoo is definitely open over Easter. In fact it is open every day of the year. Regardless of penalty rates, staff requirements, etc, the animals don't belong to a union and rely on us for their care 24/7. You might like to view the website, which has a virtual tour, at http://www.zoo.nsw.gov.au/index.htm. <BR><BR>The Royal Agricultural Society hold its annual Sydney Easter Show for two weeks including that period. It is similar, I suppose, to US state fairs. Lots of good stuff: art, crafts, dogs, cats, birds, stock animals, produce, ag machinery, rides and amusements, and lots of people. NSW is a large state and the show is very much about country meeting city. In the last few years the show has moved from its traditional home close to town to a new venue at Homebush Bay. It is part of the Olympic site and well served by public transport, about 20 minutes by electric train from the centre of Sydney. <BR>Malls - depends where they are. Everything is open on Saturday.<BR>Restaurants - definitely open for entire period.<BR>Beachside areas such as Bondi or Manly (far nicer) are always open. Manly is clean with many good restaurants right on the beach. And getting there is definitely more fun than getting to Bondi. Just hop on a speedy jetcat or a more leisurely ferry for the ride, follow other strollers down the Corso and bingo! there it is. <BR>Movies and theatres are a go all the time.<BR><BR>For an excellent website giving details of almost all the good things to do, why don't you try http://www.sydneysights.com.au/default2.htm<BR><BR>I hope this helps. If someone from Melbourne doesn't respond - just try searching and see what you come up with.<BR><BR>Enjoy your visit to Australia.<BR><BR>MrsG
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 11:03 PM

hello, I live in Melbourne and the bad news for you is that for the first time this year they have declared Sunday as a non trading day for stores. Stores with less than (I think it's 20) employees are to close <BR>I Just did a search and found this article explaining:<BR>http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/02/14/1044927801156.html<BR><BR>The good news is there are many things still to do if you are a tourist over the break. I found this report from someone in Melbourne over easter and it shows that the main to do things are still possible. I hope you enjoy the read - isnt the internet wonderful!?<BR>http://www.mandab.co.uk/Melbourne/melbourne.htm<BR>We're off to New Zealand over easter but we have planned the Milford Track walk starting on Good Friday and it lasts 4 days so I figure &quot;we're safe&quot; from the easter close problem ha!