Auckland hotel: Ponsonby or CBD?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spending a few nights in Auckland and would like to stay in an area with lots of options for restaurants and nightlife, but also within walking distance to major attractions/ferry building. Does Ponsonby fit that criteria, or would we be better off in the central city? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 10:20 PM

Ponsonby is renowned as a dining precinct as is Parnell with which I'm more familiar, but not too sure on hotels out in both areas, more a hostelling traveller myself.

Most of the hotels I think you'll find from the Skytower down towards the Harbour and south where the flatter part of CBD is, Queen Street being one of the main thoroughfares running down to the harbour and still plenty of eating establishments about that area on main streets and lanes, arcades off lanes etc. and in harbour precinct itself.
http://www.rainbowhotel.co.nz/ is a simple no fuss newer hotel that looks to be reasonable value

Ponsonby, nor Parnell are beyond walking distance, work up a good appetite while at it and get a taxi on return.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:54 AM

I have stayed in Ponsonby but at a house.I have walked from there to the city and enjoyed it but it is really a short taxi ride in the eveniong .I liked the area a lot for its shops , bars and restaurants . I endorse Bushranger re Parnell as well .
But in the city there are some good places to go including down on the waterfront .
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 06:25 AM

I stayed in the CBD, but visited Posonby by bus -- it seems a bit far to walk from Posonby to the ferry building.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback. It sounds like CBD is a better choice for being central to everything. We would like to be able to avoid "tourist trap" type restaurants and bars in favor of more local flavor -- would you say there are plenty of unique places to choose from in the CBD?
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM

You'll find a lot of Aucklanders as well as travellers [quite a few backpackers hostels down that area too] hang out about the waterfront area but probably more %locals elsewhere.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Ponsonby or CBD are great. Auckland's not really a tourist trap restaurant place...unless you go to the big chains from overseas. Try Scalinis in St Heliers - its faabulous and the little food hall behind the atrium off the main queen street is fabulous
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Before visiting Auckland in February, I thought about staying in Ponsonby, also. However, I stayed in the center of Auckland and was glad I did.

I took "The Link" (a bus service running around the city connecting all the tourist attractions) to Ponsonby for lunch or dinner, however by being in the center I could walk to The Viaduct (waterfront dining and entertainment area), Queen Street (shopping), parks, numerous little wine bars and restaurants, etc.

I'll stay in the center on my next visit, also.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!