Search

Arthur's Pass in October

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arthur's Pass in October

I'm still finalising my itinerary for October and I'm currently working out the details from Christchurch to the Glaciers and beyond. We should be flying in to Christchurch and picking up a hire car, probably setting off around mid-day and heading up to Arthur's Pass.

I read somewhere that the weather in October in Arthur's Pass can be pretty bad. Is spending 2 nights there a good idea - or would it better to split this, have one night in the pass and the 2nd somewhere like Hokitika, so we can stay late in the pass on the 2nd day to explore and take a few short walks if the weather is good or just head for the coast if it is bad? Does this seem a better option.

Does anyone have any experience of Bealey's Hotel in Arthur's pass? Also if we do decide to stay a night in Hokitika, has anyone experience ofShining Star, Southland (Beachfront) Hotel or Rimu Lodge (more expensive but looks nice).

Thanks, as always, Maria.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

any thoughts on accommodation in Arthur's Pass?
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:02 PM

Hi, Maria_H: I think you've read my posts or I have responded to your inquiries. You are doing a great job with the details of your planning. I ran into so many people who don't seem to fathom getting around in South Island, which of course leads to frustration and disappointment.
Please consider a night at Wilderness Lodge, Arthurs Pass. It was a highlight for us, as I am sure you have read. The activities available there were numerous.
Their web site says a 2 night minimum, but I emailed them anyway and lucked out on an opening for one night. They are not particularly inexpensive, but the meals are terrific, and many of the activities, like the sheep sheering, are included.
Hokitika is a interesting little town, with lots of greenstone shops, and the beach front and Tasman sea there was very rough. But it was storming while we where there (maybe it does that a lot). But to be honest, it had none of the charm of Wilderness Lodge or the Glacier villages.
Arthurs Pass is gorgeous. Allow enough time to stop at several vista points and other points of interest.
Good luck in your planning. You will love SI.
Bill.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bill, the Wilderness Lodge does look good but what I originally thought was the price per room, was in fact per person, so I'll have to weigh up the costs.

The thought behind just one night in the pass, is that we can head down from the mountains if they are covered in cloud or pouring rain, or linger if the weather is good. After Hokitika, we head for the glaciers, so can head there early if there is nothing to interest us there.

This trip is becoming something of an obsession - at least until I have all my plans finalised and hotels booked. If I'm going to travel to the far side of the world, I've got to make sure I enjoy it
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:35 AM

Yes, Wilderness Lodge is not "budget" that's for sure. I noted the Bealey's Hotel as we drove by, but can't really remember much about it except that it seems very remote. The thing about Wilderness is the sheep herding and shearing excursion is included, as is wonderful dinners and breakfasts. "For what its worth."
Hokitika is pretty basic, but lots of cafe's and fun looking bars. Lots of buses stop there for the shopping for greenstone. I admit it. my wife got some for her, and I bought some for gifts for folks at home. Beautiful stuff.

My wife says I am obsessive also about this planning bit. Seems I have just as much fun in the planning as I do in the trip itself. But we're not alone. Just read this board for a while, there are plenty of us. At least we are well prepared for most contingencies on our trips, and hopefully, get to see and experience most of what we set out to.
Best wishes for a great SI experience, Maria_H.