Recommendations for Accommodations

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for Accommodations

I am planning to be in New Zealand the end of Dec to the beginning of Jan. I want to secure hotels in advance and was hoping for a range of places -- B&Bs, farms, small hotels, etc.

My husband and I will be driving from Christchurch up to Arthur's pass and then down the West Coast toward the Franz Glacier, finally ending up at Queenstown.

Any suggestions of places to stay along the way? Doesn't have to be larger towns as long as there is a roof over our head and places to eat.

Thanks!
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 08:58 AM

If you will type "South Island accomodation" or something similar in the search box, it will bring up the most recent questions and comments which are similar to yours. It's very helpful to see what others have or are planning.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks -- I did so, but didn't get as many leads as I had hoped. Anyone have advice for Queenstown, Franz Josef, Arthurs Pass?

Thanks!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Highly recommend Wilderness Lodge Arthur's Pass. See
http://www.wildernesslodge.co.nz/arthurspass You are somewhat remote, all meals included in rate. Dinner was excellent. Upscale? Yes, yes, yes, but well worth the splurge, as they say.
This was a great experience for us. Took us out in the paddock, watched sheep dogs work, we were surrounded by sheep which go limp when held correctly. Did some sheep shearing. Also have nature and bird walks, and star gazing at night. They had weather gear available. You are in "high country." The vistas are incredible.
We stayed in Fox Glacier Village, a few km's south of FJ. Stayed at Te Waheka Lodge, see
http://www.weheka.co.nz/
Very clean and nice, with a good breakfast included.
Search my name BillJ and you will find my trip reports down a ways. Have fun, glad to answer any questions.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:38 AM

We stayed at Alexis Motor lodge in Queenstown and really enjoyed it. It's a bit of a walk to town, but it depends on how long you'll be there and what you'll be doing. But it's nice, modern and roomy. Extremely clean, and with free DVD rentals from the front desk!