Search

Apartments in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartments in Sydney

Planning to be in Sydney for 9 days next January and would like to book an apartment near The Rocks. Any suggestions? Not willing to pay $400 per night, but half that would be ok.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:48 AM

Hi, JeanneO!
My first suggestion is, don't wait too long before making the reservation, as that is one BUSY time of the year, especially in that location! Places like Quay West have apartments, but (once again, because of the time of year) rates are inclined to be outrageous. The only cheap apartments I know anywhere near the Rocks is Napoleon-on-Kent, where the cost is around $AUD120 per night (but that might go up in January). It's a peculiar place, to be sure, with its bizarre location under a freeway (no kidding) -- but it's close to both the Rocks and the Wynyard subway, so in spite of its appearance it has a lot going for it.
If you find that everywhere is full, or the available rooms are outside your price range, try the north side of the Harbour Bridge. It takes around twenty minutes to walk across the bridge, and it's a pleasant walk. As soon as you get to the Sydney side, you're in the Rocks, so staying on the north side wouldn't be too much of a hardship, I'd imagine. Once again, don't wait too long to do a google search and find a likely place -- I know that one establishment was mentioned on this forum about four months ago, but I can't recall the name; if it springs to mind, I will get back on to you.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 12:43 PM

Hi JeanneO,
We have reserved the Waldorf apartments on Liverpool st for New year.
Not sure what its like but all reports so far seem ok.
Its quite reasonably priced.
Although not in the rocks its not too far away from most locations.

Alan is this the name you were looking for? Remember you took a walk on my behalf and found it.
I have still not stayed there lol but 11 weeks tuesday we leave.

Muck
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 03:11 PM

Hi, Mucky (and apologies to JeanneO for hijacking her thread!) NIce to hear from you again... every time I walk down the Waldorf way nowadays I think of that first time I went looking for it! I thought your holiday had come and gone long ago! Don't forget to send us all a report on your trip -- and the Waldorf -- when you return!
JeanneO: Myrtle also asked questions about apartments (though not necessarily near the Rocks) and there are a lot of suggestions, and two old posts "topped", around her question. Suggest you look down the column about half a dozen entries. Good luck!
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 01:16 AM

Hi again Alan & JeanneO,
Yes my search began so long ago I can't remember. I do wonder sometimes if I plan too far in advance...lol
Anyway we leave in 10 weeks !
Yes I promise to write a trip report and in particular a report on the Waldorf.

Thanks again for your help

Muck
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 08:42 AM

Check out the Stafford Apartments! Right in the middle of the Rocks, some units with awesome harbor views, close to everything - and quite affordable. The cityguide here on Fodor's has a review as well. We just got back from Sydney and loved staying there.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 05:38 AM

Brooklyn Girl, please tell us more, as this is one establishment that has slipped through my "net"! What do you mean by "quite affordable"? What are the views? I will be very grateful if you can add a good find to my oft-repeated list of old favourites (haven't had one since Mucky came up with the Waldorf!)
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:58 AM

Hi Jeanne,
I am in the Radisson suites on Liverpool Street. (we're right down the street from Muck who is at the Waldorf)Not near the Rocks, but about a 15 -20 min.walk
I got a great rate for New Years Eve (309 AUD) and my rate for 12-29 and 1-2 is lower. I'm sure for Jan. you can get a good deal.
They are all suites, with a separate living area and kitchen. They have balconies and an indoor pool/spa area
While I don't know anybody who has stayed there, maybe Alan, if he happens to walk by give me some feedback.
Also, note to Mucky- what are you guys doing for New Years Eve? It will be my son (13) my husband and I . We're thinking of buying tkts to the Botanical Garden for reserved seating.
Sincem you've been do you have suggestions?
Thanks,
Pat
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 01:04 PM

Hi Patw,
Sorry JeanneO to hijack your post.
New years eve we have been promised corporate seats from the Australian side of the company I work for, who are sponsors of the display.
I hope it works out, but the botanical gds sounds a good alternative if it doesn't. How can I reserve seats there?

Muck
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 01:49 PM

Hi Mucky, (Sorry JeanneO)
My company has a branch in SYD too. We actually put execs up in the York Apts. which is how I found out about them. I should check with the office mgr to see if there is anything they do corporate wise.
Anyway, I went on the Botanical Garden's website and they start selling seats in November. It sounds nice. I can't find the website now but I got it thru a google search.
Where else are you going on this trip?
Maybe we should start another thread???
Cheers,
Pat
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 01:18 AM

Hi Patw,
Yes a new thread is a good idea apologies again to JeanneO

Will post later.

Muck