Any tips on Syd-BB drive itinerary with 3 yrs old

Oct 31st, 2002, 01:15 AM
tongsa

Any tips on Syd-BB drive itinerary with 3 yrs old

Just wanted to get some ideas on this proposed itinerary. Spend 5 days in and around Sydney incl. B. Mts. And then take 5 days to get to BB? Too much? Am not sure if we shd halt at Newcastle, Not keen on doing Hunter Valley. One night around Taree, one night Coffs harbor or Nambuuca, another at Ballina or Byron Bay and one near Coolangatta. Spend 2 days around BB and then fly out to PD for 7 days. Any suggestions ? Am keeping the drives as short as possible given the much warned about holiday traffic and a restless child at the back! This is still prelim barring Sydney and PD. Know I can get useful suggestions for sure...Thanks.

Oct 31st, 2002, 12:54 PM
xxxxx

It would help to know where BB was?

Oct 31st, 2002, 03:01 PM
Alan

Hi, Tongsa!
This itinerary is sounding pretty good, and you don't really have to change anything. My suggestions are just ways to "refine" it, and many might disagree with what I am saying.
For a start, I think that five days IS too long to go from Sydney to Brisbane. Most people would take two days and one night, but I can see that this wouldn't give you much time for sight-seeing, so I would suggest three days/two nights. Give Newcastle a miss -- instead, at morning-tea time on the first day, detour near Gosford and see Eric Worrell's Reptile Park, which will break the journey nicely for a young child (three years old?).It's not a big park, and you will be on your way again shortly after midday. The next stage of the journey is the least interesting, and, frankly, if I were you I would just get through it as quickly as possible, without stopping anywhere.
Taree is a pleasant enough town, but it's not a place to linger; it's on a river, not the coast, so there's nothing to see, and it will be HOT! Keep going and stop at Coff's Harbour or Nambucca on your first night. (You can have a morning ocean swim before setting out on the next leg of your journey... there is a motel at Coff's -- not on the highway! -- which lets right out onto a long and usually-deserted beach; can't remember it's name, but it's worth asking about when you get there.)
From here on in the drive is much more pleasant, so your second day will be better. I think (once again, mainly for your child) that the second day should finish up with an afternoon stop at the Currumbin Bird Sanctuary. At feeding time (sometime around 3 p.m., I think) the birds swarm in and sit on your head, your shoulders.... anywhere where they can keep in sight of the food. It's a great photographic opportunity.
You probably wouldn't want to drive on too far from there before your second night stop. On your third day you can do whatever takes your fancy on the Gold Coast -- Dream World or Sea World or even the surprisingly-small Warner Bros Movie World -- and still be in Brisbane in time for dinner -- or stay another night in the bargain-basement motels around the Gold Coast and drive to Brisbane on the morning of the fourth day. Does that sound okay?

Oct 31st, 2002, 04:56 PM
tongsa

Hi Alan. I knew I could count on you for good advice!
I am now definitely going to do the reptile park (much as I dont like those creatures)off Gosford and then do a farmstay and Barrington Tops. And also throw in the Currimbin Bird sanctaury.
You c, the idea is to get my daughter a flavor of farm life as well. Ans, since we are goin to be in PD for a week, I figured she could get her sun and sand and sea there...I am thinking of staying at the Kookaburra Cottages near Nelson bay for a day or move on straight to near Barrington Tops (farmstay at Barkeldine) for 2 days and use that as a base to do Port Maquarie and the area. Then, move on to Coffs?Nambucca (that sounds less toursity) as you have suggested on the third day and on to Currimbin. And then one nite at the Gold Coast before Brisbane. Is that any better? Also want to do Bellingen or Dorrigo if possible but feel that might be too ambitious! Thanks for the help.

Oct 31st, 2002, 05:33 PM
john

Hell Tongsa you are a bloody expert already....you know the coast better than most sydneysiders.Your plan looks good.Nambucca is one of my favourite spots on the coast.

Don't forget there are no waves/surf in tropical qld and (i think at the time you are travelling) the stingers are around.

Small kids like to play in the sand and frolic in the edge of the surf.Now Allan lives in the mountains and has not been to the beach in donkeys years.

Get your daughter some sand toys in sydney and go to the beach each morning before you move on.Nothing beats a morning surf in summer on the aussie east coast.

See the dolphins at port stephens.

Byron and Hinterland are the pick of the coast.Get yourself a cabin at the Broken Head caravan park.

You could do Nambucca,Bellingen,Dorrigo national Park and stay at Yamba in a day.

Oct 31st, 2002, 10:51 PM
tongsa

Thanks for the kind words John. Am trying to maximize my holiday at OZ - its too vast and too diverse and am just plain greedy in wanting a lsice of it all...Rest assured, I will be back(well, lemme get there first)! So, Nambuuca will be on as will the suggestions from Alan!

Nov 1st, 2002, 04:14 AM
Alan

Suggestions from Alan? Gulp! frankly, I don't think I could have planned the trip half as well as you have! The Barrington Tops, yet! I agree completely with everything John has suggested, and there's nothing for me to add but best wishes for a fantastic holiday. Your little girl is a lucky lass to have a parent who plans around her needs so thoughtfully.

Nov 1st, 2002, 08:14 PM
tongsa

Flattery will get you everywhere!! Must tell u this, Alan - there is this OZ week going on here in Hong Kong (where we live) and they were advertising for the Reptile Park - I totally floored this lady when I asked her if it was the one near Gosford! she gave me a few free brochures and coupons! So, thanks. My planning ideas are all from this forum!
Cheers.

Nov 1st, 2002, 09:08 PM
xxxxx

Still do not know where BB is???

Nov 2nd, 2002, 04:03 PM
tongsa

Hi 5x. Its Brisbane.

Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:53 AM
liz

I am with you xxxx I would have thought that BB was Byron Bay for starters. Brisbane is abreviated by using B'bne by the way tongsa.
Don't bother with Movie World at the Gold Coast as its pretty boring - too small and really not worth the entry fee. Perhaps take time to go and see Fleay's Fauna park which has some pretty interesting breeding programmes for endangered species and a lot of very well informed 'rangers'.
The Pubs at Urunga ( 17 klms south of Coffs Harbour and I hope I have spelled it properly) and the one at Dorrigo are great places to get a taste of Aussie country pub stays, very cheap, clean but of course not 5 star. Both have great pub meals and both are wonderfully situated - the one at Urunga overlooks the convergence of two rivers into the ocean and there are lovely walks along the beaches and being a small place its very quiet.
There are some really nice places to stay around the Gold Coast which are very well priced. Stay away from the many cheap ( and nasty) Motels which are along the cheap and nasty tourist strip. Sorry Alan but I would never suggest anyone use these because of the type of person who usually stays there - they more often than not keep you awake all night.

Nov 4th, 2002, 12:21 AM
tongsa

Hi Liz, Thanks.
My revised itinerary is :
2 nites at Barrington tops - base to do Port Maq. as well.
1 nites: Nambucca/Coffs. Still struggling to get a place of choice!
Will check out the Pubs. Considering Coolangatta/Changing Chalet at Currimbin or such for the next 2 days. Places still looking! Too much choice perhaps! How far out would Mt. Tamborine be? Am also tempted with Stradbroke Island but!
End with near/outskirts of Brisbane. Deception Bay is my thinking rather than Canungra and all which may be further up North...Sounds all mixed up????
I am beginning to feel that way now!
HELP!

Nov 4th, 2002, 01:30 PM
liz

As stated in a previous post - Deception Bay is the home of the low socio-economic and too far out of the way to be useful or to make up for the fact that its the pits! Canungra is a lovely little place WHEN WE ARE NOT IN A WATER CRISIS and in either the spring or autumn as it can be far too hot and too cold, certainly not my area of choice.
Stradbroke Island is a destination itself to just stay there because getting to and from it is a pain if you are wanting to visit other places and costly if you have a car to put on the barge every time you wish to get off the island. My choice would be to stay at Sanctuary Cove which is just north of the Gold Coast and a little ( upmarket) village on the water with lovely shops, restaurants, hotels etc and several golf clubs. Its within 8 minutes drive of Dreamworld, the train to either Robina on the Gold Coast and the train to Brisbane, and not far off the highway for access to any direction, including the roads up to the mountains.
Currumbin valley can be hot at this time of year so check that you are near the ocean for a more comfortable stay - although this week is not hot at all.
HTH...liz

Nov 4th, 2002, 09:15 PM
tongsa

Thanks Liz. Have cancelled the D-Bay. Now, will try Sanc. Cove. What is the best place to stay at Gold Coast - too much choice... Saw other posts about Broadbeach. Am yet to the search on the Pubs. Any tips on Binna Burra or O'Reillys? Thanks again.

Nov 4th, 2002, 09:25 PM
liz

Sanctuary Cove is my choice for the Gold Coast because of its access to most things and its lovely lifestyle accommodations.
I have said many times on this forum that I think that O'Reilly's and Binna Burra are day trips because the cost of staying there is expensive and out of proportion to other accommodation places around those areas. The only time I would go along with staying at them would be for those people who are doing long hikes daily in the area or for night hiking but preferably that would be in the winter months. If you check out the Gold Coast web sites you should find some good maps of the area and you will see what I mean about Sanctuary Cove being a nice locale. You can get from SC by boat to the centre of the Broadwater of the Gold Coast. The Hyatt has a nice hotel in SC with river or Golf views.