Sydney to Melbourne - Coast Road

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney to Melbourne - Coast Road

For October of next year, we're currently planning on going by car from the Hunter Valley to Melbourne and my current thinking is that we would like to drive the coast road. My estimate is that we would require two nights en route in order to avoid back-breaking days.

Just looking at the map and calculating distances suggests that the first night would be taken somewhere between Batemans Bay and Bega and the second somewhere in the Lakes Entrance - Bairnsdale area.

Your comments on the desirability of this route and timing would be appreciated. We're Californians who really be able to look at the sea.

Thanks,
BigBlue
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

We've amended this plan slightly. We'll start out north of Sydney (either in the Hunter Valley or in Port Stephens per my posting on that subject), then go to Mosman to stay with friends a couple of nights.

We would then drive the coast road beginning in Mosman and would like some ideas on where best to break the journey.

Many thanks,
BigBlue
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 03:31 PM

If I was to do this drive as a tourist I would spend the first two nights in NSW then have a long drive day 3 from Eden to Melbourne.

I love the NSW South Coast drive, my personal favourite along the whole east coast of Australia. But coming from California you also have some nice coast of your own!

There are some music festivals on the South Coast in October, namely Moruya and Narooma that I am aware of. These can impact acommodation options, however apart from that you could wing it and stop when you feel like it.

You must take the turn off at Waterfall south of Sydney (well you don't have to, but you must!!) take in the lookouts then drive through Stanwell Park through the coastal communties north of Wollongong. Till recently working class towns and not yet taken over by five star developers. Beautiful coastal views.

Stop by Kiama as the highway bypasses it now. Please take some beach turnoffs along the way as the highway bypasses some treasures.

Pebbly Beach is famous for kangaroos but you may have already seen a few hundred on your travels.

Beautiful coastline, just remember that the highway will bypass a lot of it so plan for some detours.

Also as an aside I have heard great reviews about an acommodation place at Mollymook (by Ulladulla). Cannot remember what it is called but others may know if you are interested.

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:42 PM

I'd say the place you are thinking of at mollymook is Bannisters. http://www.bannisterspointlodge.com.au/
check this site - http://www.sydney-melbourne.org/

I think the 2 days in nsw then day 3 through to melb is a good idea, although you could possibly do night 2 in that lakes entrance area.

definitely do the drive through the royal national park, it's lovely. also stop at stanwell tops for the view (and hangliders depending on the day) the fairly new sea cliff bridge - perhaps walk part of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Cliff_Bridge

you might like to stop at berry (I'm not a major fan, a bit touristy, but can see the attraction)

I think jervis bay / (I like huskisson) is also worth a stop - those sands are very white.

mollymook might be a good place for night, but I'd actually suggest you go a bit further and stop somewhere around batemans bay. if you stayed near batemans bay and ate in there i had a wonderful meal many moons ago at the little place thats on the water on the northern side of the bridge ... can't remember what it's called ... but it actually sits out over the water.

you could look at murramurang to stay - I've camped there but they have gone a bit more eco since I was there (quite a while ago) http://www.murramarang.com there's some nice walks in that area - I had a great surf at emily miller beach - secluded and lovely and you can do a loop there at murramarang.

no shortage of accommodation around batemans bay ... there's heaps!

day 2 highlights - drive the coastal route rather than the highway from Batemans Bay to Moruya - some nice communities along here (lilli pilli, rosedale, guerilla bay). used to get hot chips at the takeaway at tomakin (very little place) and then go up to the headland and have a look - very nice. mossy point / Broulee is also a lovely place.

Tuross another lovely spot (but off the highway) and Narooma one of my faves (great views as you come in down the hill of the river going out to sea) and if you're into golf, this is a good spot - golf course right by the ocean.

I'd defintiely recommend the detour to central tilba if you have time it's lovely - make sure you check out the tilba cheese. you could easily kill a couple of hours here if you have it. http://centraltilba.visitnsw.com/Hol...SW601727CT.htm http://www.tilba.com.au/

another nice drive but takes time is the non-coastal route from bermagui - to tathra (check out this site for map http://www.maps.com.au/PDFS/Maps/sap...ire_Region.pdf and you'll find you should be able to pick these cartoscope maps up at tourist info centres). Wallaga lake nice, mimosa rocks are great and tathra is lovely - be sure to go to the wharf and check it out. also, the pub at the top of the hill, great views!

then you head to merimbula and eden - both nice (but I'm not quite as familiar with this area - haven't spent the amount of time there that I have between jervis bay and tathra).

lakes entrance is very nice and my bro recently stayed at marlo which they also said was nice (quieter than lakes entrance).

hightail it from bairnsdale through some pretty uninspiring country in my mind ....

I think you'll have a lovely drive - I really like the south coast of nsw. perhaps not as friendly for swimming as the north coast (warning - it'll still be FRESH in October) but I think it's probably a bit more rugged and unspoilt. IMHO of course.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 10:03 PM

just re-read the post - I meant the non-HIHGWAY drive from Bermagui to tathra is good (not non-coastal, what a goose)
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 11:54 PM

Lance

Narooma is my favourite. I just love it. Last time I was there I saw a billboard declaring the building of some swank aprtments next to the Fish and Chip shop, when you first go up the hill. Shame really.

I love the trip to Montague Island from Narooma. But Bigblue may not have time for that. If so it is great, a little history, Australian Fur Seal haul out site and the evening you can see little penguins. On top of that October is still whale watching season, albeit the tail end of it.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:01 AM

Lance,

Yes, Bannisters Point Lodge. I heard the outside is a bit disappointing until you get inside, then very very nice.

Out of my budget and the south coast is a little short on higher end accommodation and thought BigBlue may appreciate it more than the 3 star motels I usually end up in.

Thanks for that.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Well done, folks! Keep your cards and letters coming. I'm taking good notes.

Thanks for all,
BigBlue
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Sorry to butt in on this thread. Lancefan, we're a couple of Aussies going to be touring by motorbike in Europe next year and believe you did a trip earlier this year. Did you post a trip report? Would love to hear about your experiences. Our email address is [email protected] if you're interested in making contact. Cheers!