Search

Cairns too hot in January?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:06 PM
Kevin

Cairns too hot in January?

Hello again-My daughter is in Brisbane and tells me that EVERYBODY says Cairns/Port Douglas area will be TOO HOT in January. They recommend staying furhter South-Whitsundays or further. The GBR must be experienced-what do you think? Thanks in advance...Kevin<BR>P.S. We live in Southern California-if that helps...

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 10:45 AM
margo

Cairns in January will be hot and extremely humid, and quite possibly rainy (or the occasional cyclone). The Whitsundays may be marginally better, although the reef access is not as good.<BR><BR>I don't know about southern California, but it's the near 100% humidity that people find uncomfortable in Cairns. But Port Douglas is probably the best jumping off place for the reef.<BR><BR>Enjoy your stay in Oz.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 12:21 PM
john

Kevin<BR>southern ca heat is dry heat...baking heat low humidity heat ..just like the heat west of the ranges here in oz.Nominal air temps are higher than the tropics but more bearable.<BR><BR>Cairns in Jan (and even Brisbane at times) is tropical,humid oppressive,sauna bath heat.I don't think you are going to find a lot of difference between areas on the reef.Given that your wife is not a diver your choice is cairns or whitsundays.Air conditioning and planning your day can make the conditions bearable.Early mornings and evenings after a storm are pleasant imho.Take a siesta in your air con room during the worst parts of the day or watch the test cricket.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:58 AM
liz

I think your daughter would be the best person to advise you really. If she was there last Xmas and survived OK then you would be fine in and around the Whitsundays. YES you MUST experience the GBR. That area is not too much different from the temps that Brisbane will experience at that time of year but it is all day every day so to speak. Probably around 33 deg celcius with about 75% humidity - unless of course its raining!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Kevin

I'm leaning towards Port Douglas although what about Townsville area or south off Gladstone? Or places inbetween? Gotta dive, be a tourist and be a local! Thanks for all the help...

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 09:36 PM
liz

Heron island off Gladstone ( Australia's 3rd yukkyest town) is on the southern end of the reef. I have not dived there so cannot give you first hand information about it, suffice it to say that its a small coral cay and there is not much else to do if the weather turns bad i.e. trips through the rainforest or shopping. Townsville has no access to the reef really so wipe that one off. <BR>Your choice of Port Douglas and the various islands around there is a good one but then you get more of a chance of rain at that time. However seeing that the weather is not doing what is should at any time of the year this year you may be very lucky. <BR>My choice, all things being equal would be the islands off Port Douglas or PD itself with the Whitsundays second because of the less ease in getting to the dive spots from there. But again if you are coming at that time of year there will be plenty of specials and perhaps you can get airfare and accommodation somewhere great for a good price and have a ball - we do have airconditioning AND the water is wet and cooler anyway. You will love the diving on the GBR wherever you go.