Any comments on these lodging options - GOR & TAS?

Jan 7th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Any comments on these lodging options - GOR & TAS?

Researching accommodation for our trip - GOR and TAS for March/April.

My recently revived thread on a not-so-nice place in NZ made me think I should run these places by my Fodor friends before booking.

GOR - Apollo Bay Colonial Cottages.

Hobart - considering Morilla Estate Vineyard - I can't seem to find much info on this place - looks a bit pricy, so other suggestions welcome.

Lake St Clair area - any comments on Derwent Bridge Chalets, Highland Cabins in Bronte Park and Lake St Clair Wilderness Park cabins?

St Mary's area - Rainbow Retreat Eco Lodge and Cabins - anyone been there?

Tamar Valley - Rosevears Estate

Any help welcome.

Jan 7th, 2006, 08:56 PM

Stayed at Bronte Park but in their motel section. Was a very small room lined in pine and was very cosy. Lots of doona, pillows, slanted roof and pine sort of decoration. Very highland in feel. The only downside for us was that the plumbing noise came through the walls easily but for the price I was not about to complain. Never saw inside the little houses but they looked fine.

If ever I needed a place to stay again I would go back rather there rather than pay more for Lake St Clair.

Derwent Bridge did not appeal to us at all.
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - what's doona?
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:07 PM

Doona = comforter? quilt, that sort of thing
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for clearing that up Tassietwister. I'd seen references to doona before, but hadn't a clue what the heck they were. Mystery solved!
Jan 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I've booked Highland Cabins in Bronte Park (Derwent Bridge Chalets ignored my three requests for info by the way) and Rosevears Estate near Launceston. Have also booked Apollo Bay Colonial Cottages.

Tassietwister - didn't you say you had a great meal somewhere at Bronte Park?

Still looking for rec's in Hobart and St Helens area.

Any suggestions?
Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:37 PM

I haven't stayed at Moorilla, but did go and do a wine tasting and had a look at their accomm from the outside - looked very nice! lovely spot.

recently had friends that honeymooned in tasmania and stayed at the henry jones art hotel, which is supposed to be lovely (they loved it and I saw a story on the tv about it). it's the old ixl jam factory done up beautifully. http://www.thehenryjones.com/

There are lots of lovely old places around salamanca place/battery point, which also might be worth looking into.