Search

Waldorf Towers-NYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Stu
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waldorf Towers-NYC

I will be traveling to NYC late Oct and staying at the Waldorf Towers--any recommendations in the Luxury guest rooms for views etc. Any suggestions for preferred restaurants and bars nearby mid to upper price range. thanks in advance! Stu
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 05:23 AM

Never stayed at the Towers, only the regular part of the hotel.

One of my favorite restaurants nearby is Fresco. It's on 52 b/t Park and Madison (nearer to Madison). Ask the concierge to make a reservation for you. Mama Scotto will make you feel very welcome.

Also nearby is Smith & Wollensky -- one of the city's famed steakhouses.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 05:50 AM

You'll be right near the Seagrams building on Park & 52-53 which houses the Four Seasons rest. (and bar) on the 52nd st side (betw. Park & Lex) and the Brasserie open 24/7 on the 53rd st side. At minimum go the Four Seasons for a drink. The Brasserie is a good place for breakfast, a late night snack or anything inbetween. You're also not far from the Lever House building which has the newish Lever House rest. I haven't tried it but it's supposed to be very good (and pricey).

I agree with lisettemac on Fresco for Italian. I prefer Bobby Vans for steak though, and they have 2 locations near you, 54th st. betw Park & Lex and Park & 46th (just at the entrance to the tunnel).
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Dan

Wouldn't recommend Smith & Wollensky, which is now a chain. It's way overpriced for the food quality. I've tried the NYC, DC and NO locations and all have been "okay" but not a good value.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:55 AM

Staying in the Towers was like, my best trip to NYC ever!
My suite was about 3000SF with 3 bedrooms/baths and a HUGE living room with a grand piano and 2 seating areas.
There was a butlers pantry and a large formal dining room, too. The foyer had a table in the center with a large fresh flower arrangement.
It was beautiful and simply awesome!
No bad views... as I recall we could see 3 directions.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 07:03 AM

Of course we all have different opinions, but Smith and Wollensky remains one of my favorite steakhouses anywhere, even if they do now have more locations. I usually eat in the grill, where I like the atmosphere better, but I find it to have the best steaks I've had in New York -- and I've eaten at most of the major steakhouses (except the elusive Peter Luger's).
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 02:46 PM

Definitely put Shun Lee Palace on your list. Chinese food doesn't get any better in New York. It's a few short blocks north on 55th Street, between Lexington & Third Avenues. You'll need reservations.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Off the top of my head:
Vong, 54th and 3rd
Town, 56th and 5th
Sparks Steakhouse, 46th btwn 2nd and 3rd (better than Smith and Wol)
Level House, Park and 53rd.

I would not go to Four Seasons - had a bad (not just not good, but bad) meal there recently, and I've heard similar reviews from others.