Airfare from Canada to Sydney

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfare from Canada to Sydney

I checked with Air Canada today and was quoted an airfare of 2800CAN$ from Toronto to Sydney with 1 stop in Honolulu.

I am hoping the experts will give me some feedback on this. It seems high to me.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 07:21 PM

When are you going?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

We are going in Sept. What do you think about the airfaire I quoted?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:02 PM

It does seem high, but that is roughly what http://www.aircanada.ca quotes for a September 1 departure with a September 30 return. United's site lists $2109.44 U.S. or approx $2538.17 Canadian.
You could wait for another AC seat sale as September isn't high season to Australia and you could try the Aussie owned "Flight Center" for a quote.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:30 AM

WhyNot - one option might be to depart from Buffalo. I just did a search for Toronto - Sydney and Buffalo to Sydney, travel dates: Sept 3 to Oct 1 (Saturdays.) The fare from Toronto was $2117 USD or $2553 CAD. However, if you depart from Buffalo, the fare drops to $1653 USD or $1993 CAD.

You might also consider booking Tornoto to Los Angeles and then a seperate booking for Los Angeles to Sydney. I just tried this for the dates mentioned above and the YTO - LAX part is $276 USD / $333 CAD. LAX to SYD came out to $969 USD / $1168 CAD. So if you take this approach, your total fare would be around $1240 USD or $1500 CAD.

Since you've got a fair amount of time before you leave, I would sign up for the "fare watcher" programs offered by the major travel sites (Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.) They will monitor air fares between 5 pairs of cities for you and send you an email when the fare changes more than $25 or drops below a certain level. Watching the fares for awhile will help you learn what the "normal" prices are for a specific route. Be aware though, when you get an email with a great price, you need to be ready to book because the low fares are often gone in a matter of hours.

Good luck!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:42 AM

I have been checking prices on Air Canada for close to a year now. I will be going in August. $2800 has been the standard price since around November. However, the price to fly to Sydney in August of last year did drop to around $1400. The prices dropped in June.

However something else to consider is that many AC flights go through Vancouver, and then make a stop in Honolulu before continuing to Sydney. It adds at least four hours to the flight. Try to connect through LAX or San Fran.

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your GREAT suggestions.

I am very flexible at this point, but I do need to be in Sydney mid Sept.
I was wanting a stop over in Honolulu or elsewhere. This may be my 1st and only trip to Australia.

I am definitely NOT committed to Air Canada.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 10:19 PM

Do you collect Aeroplan points? Just checked f.f.seat for September 10th outbound and October 10th inbound. there were ff seats available on both dates.
One warning about flying on two low-cost, separate tickets. If both flights are on the same ticket and your first flight is delayed, your airline will take care of you. If you fly on two separate tickets and have the same problem the second airline might refuse to board you as you missed your booked flight. I have had flights delayed in Toronto because of summer lightning storms.
Someone suggested AC via Honolulu adds hours to your flight. Think of the time on a Toronto-L.A.-Aukland-Sydney run.
Off topic.....the Sydney maps in Fodors are clearer and less cluttered than some guides.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM

WhyNot

George gives good advice about ticketing and if you book online, be careful and read the fine print VERY CAREFULLY. As a Torontonian, you know that Jetsgo's recent sudden demise led to hundreds losing their airfares and in some cases their holidays. Although Jetsgo did not fly abroad, it was a low-budget carrier that could get you from point A to point B to a connecting flight.

It's true that AC's sales to Australia don't come till later. This makes waiting difficult to plan. And the regular airfare is daunting.

I'm not sure why going AC adds hours to your flight. If you are in Toronto you still have to get to the west coast and two airlines might not be as convenient as going on one. Having said that, I am not a big fan of AC but there are some benefits of going with a large carrier. The larger ones will look after you. On our return from China, my husband had a minor medical emergency which was looked after at the airport and we were hustled on to the next available plane.

It is a long flight: my recollection is four hours to Vancouver with a not very long wait. About six hours to Honolulu with a one hour stop for customs, and ten hours to Sydney. Twenty one hours not counting the two hours prior to boarding in Toronto.

Should you stop over in Honolulu consider the good advice of travellers who say to stop for at least two or three days since a one-nighter means arriving in Honolulu around midnight, getting to a hotel and back again.

Read the fine print of everything before you book including trip insurance and medical, and have a wonderful time.