Buy tickets now or wait???

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy tickets now or wait???

We will be flying to Sydney in June. Question: should I buy tickets now or wait and see if they drop? Or will they likely increase the closer to June I get? Get out your crystal balls and see what you think. I just don't know what to do!!!It's like playing the stock market, only worse!
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM

I had the same question as you did a few months ago. We're also going in June and I've been following the airfares for at least the past four months. While it does seem like there is a trend towards lower fares the closer you get to departure dates, the difference is always relatively small. In asking around the msg boards it seems this is typical regardless of the time of year.

So, after stressing about it for a few months and watching fares like a stockbroker, I finally decided the heck with it and booked it. Better flight selection (i.e. more likely to get direct flights to Australia from the US and better seat selection) was the way I justified it to myself.

Good luck!
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

That's pretty much what I thought. I have also been checking the fares daily on at least 15 different web sites! So far, travelation.com has been the cheapest. Airgorilla and ticketspinner are also good. It's mind blowing how many are out there! We are flying into Sydney and out of Brisbane. We are taking a jetblue flight from Sydney to Cairns about midtrip, then flying from Cairns to Brisbane to get home.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions!
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Leeann - what kind of fares were you quoted?
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

The average fare from Huntington,wv to Sydney was about 2000.00. I was able to get roundtrip to Sydney for about 1600 on Travelation (which I later discovered is associated with Airgorilla).