Search

Best Atlas/Driving of SI?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Atlas/Driving of SI?

We'll be renting a car throughout our 14 days on the SI . Do you all recommend getting an atlas for all of our driving, or better to wait till we get to greymouth and purchase maps of city to city? we'll be in/around the following: Hotitika, Fox, Wanaka, QT, Milford. My hubby is convinced our trustee gps will be fine, but...u know how that goes! And if u have a particular guidebook u'd like to rec'd, plz do. TIA!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 02:40 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We like our Wises map of the SI which we purchased in NZ and which has been our Bible on six trips. I've never used GPS but seems you could miss alot of tucked away spots that appear on a good touring map.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

thanks Melnq8. We'll look for those maps upon arrival to NZ. Part of the fun of travel is getting semi-lost, but not completely lost!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:45 PM

Melnq8, can you tell me more about that Wises map? I thought I'd hop on tulip's post as I have the same question.

For Ireland I pre-ordered a road atlas, the kind with multiple pages, like a book. It was terrific!

I have just been wondering if there is a web-site where I can order a detailed multi-page road atlas, UPDATED, for NZ, or if I should try to buy one on our first stop in dunedin...usually I like to do as much as possible in advance...

If I wait til I get to Dunedin, would I get a road atlas at an information centre or at a bookstore?

Or does anyone know of a web-site which can mail a road atlas very fast?

Tulip, hope you don't mind that I hopped on here! Happy driving!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:07 PM

I have mine right in front of me - it's a Wises Travel Master Map of the SI of NZ. Assume they have the same for the NI. Here's the site, but suggest just picking one up when you arrive. Can't remember where we got ours exactly, but I'm sure you can find one just about anywhere - airport (well, maybe not the Dunedin airport - it's teeny), petrol station, visitor's center, etc.

www.wises.co.nz/
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:23 AM

Thanks, Melnq8. Maybe I should just pick the map up in Dunedin. Just don't want to drag poor husbnad all around town searching for the perfect map. But we need to go to the visitor's center anyway so maybe that is the place to get the map...
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:27 PM

Here's the Dunedin Visitor's Center website - maybe you can verify they have the map you want before you go, or they can point you to a shop near where you're staying. They also have current weather info on this site. Note opening times at the bottom of the page.

http://www.cityofdunedin.com/city/?p...visitor_centre