Transportation from Sydney to Cairns

Dec 11th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Transportation from Sydney to Cairns

We are going to Australia in May of next year and I started looking for an airfare from SYD to Cairns and it is showing up for 448(AUD). Does this sound right or maybe I am too early? What other means of transportation would you recommend?
Thank you
Dec 11th, 2003, 11:10 AM

Is that round trip or one way? We got very good rates on Qantas and Virgin Blue (flying from Sydney to the Gold Coast, then Brisbane to Darwin, then Darwin to Sydney) and it's costing less than $350 CAD for all three flights. That's in April. But I kept checking the websites to see when I could find a sale.
Dec 11th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Janese

Its about 4,000 Klms and if thats return then that is a good price. Otherwise it would take 3 days train travel to get there.

Dec 11th, 2003, 01:51 PM

I would definitely wait till closer to the time and keep checking Qantas and Virgin Blue for specials. Last week we flew from Cairns to Sydney for AU$143!
Dec 11th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Was that a roundtrip or one way?
Dec 11th, 2003, 07:58 PM

Unless you have oodles of time, I'd recommend flying as it is quite a long way. www.virginblue.com.au and www.qantas.com.au both have internet only deals that you can be alerted to by e-newsletter - join up for free on their websites and keep an eye out for a month or so, deals come up all the time. Also Qantas has just announced a new domestic only subsidiary called JetStar, not sure when it starts operating but there are sure to be good deals available then.
Kay
Dec 11th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I think I decided to take
this package that includes Air from US to AUS (roundtrip) and from Sydney to Cairns (roundtrip) and 4 star hotels in both cities for $ 1539 + 150 tax.
http://australia.com/deals/HYE_qanta...aust?L=en&C=US
Do you really think I would be able to do much better by putting it together myself? They do allow for us to stay extra days for no additional cost ( i mean we still have to pay for hotel, etc but no airfare penalty)
Thank you for all of your help and I am always open for suggestions.
Dec 12th, 2003, 01:22 PM

To Arikson77 - it was one-way. (We heard about it from Qantas's e-newsletter as mentioned by KayF) But it sounds as if you've now got a very good package deal, and the flexibility is such a bonus. Have a great time in this wonderful country!