Search

Air NZ Strike?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 01:21 AM
koa
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air NZ Strike?

Just read in the NZ herald online that air new zealand may be in for a strike. Numerous international flights have been affected. I cant believe this! Hopefully the company comes up with a contingency plan. SO far my travel date hasnt been affected. Lets just say if this goes down, I wont be a happy camper!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:59 AM

Not sure what there is not to be believed. I haven't read the article, but on the face of it there's a disjuncture between "may be (repeat, 'may be') in for a strike" and "numerous international flights have been (repeat, 'have been') affected".

What form of "contingency plan" would you like? A crash course (no pun intended) for a squad of hastily-recruited Wellington bus drivers?
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 12:37 PM
koa
Original Poster

It seems the problem is with international flight attendents. Flights from OZ, asia and some pacific island routes have been cancelled on three specific days in july. So far, my flight has not been cancelled, so I am crossing my fingers. Just what I needed, stress regarding my vacation. Stress is supposed to be for work!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Crikie Neil are you having a bad hair day or what! What kind of an answer is that you gave - have some heart and put yourself in the shoes of the people who are the meat in the sandwich, so to speak.
I looked this up and it appears that flights from London, San Fran and LA are going to be ok but some other International flights are not. I would assume that should there be problems when and if you are travelling between NZ and Australia either Qantas, Freedom Air, Virgin Pacific or a host of other airlines would come to your aid so I would not be too disheartened or worried at this point.
Back to you Neil: remember that some people in this world do not have flexible timetables and cannot put off things for a week or so while some airline employees flex their collective muscles and sit on their bums - which incidently does not hurt the airline but most certainly does hurt the people who are the most innocent in all these matters. I have never been an advocate for strikes as it always effects the innocent most and who would, in all honesty, want to disrupt people's travel plans, $$ outlays, work plans, going to funerals, going to weddings and all sorts of plans that go in conjoint with travel? The answer to that Neil is Ar..h...s I can just see you now Neil - picture this - your daughter has been hurt in an accident ( God forbid) in China, she is in hospital, you don't know how she is and cannot get information. Furthermore you can't get out of Australia because there is a strike of baggage handlers because they have been accured of theft of traveller's luggage. I guess you may then be hoping on some contingency plan to get you to where you want to go, I would also bet that your feelings toward the baggage handlers would not be nice ones. I most certainly doubt that I would hear you say " oh, good on them they are standing up for their "rights" , it won't matter what happens to my daughter as long as the baggage handlers get a fair go".
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 01:57 PM

My goodness, Liz, what a rant. I'm still not sure how you managed to convert my comments into a defence of the ANZ workers. Having no idea of the history of this dispute, I have no idea of how justified or otherwise their action may be. Nor have you, of course. But it's good to see you back in form all the same. This forum has become a bit boring lately.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 12:58 PM

Hah! That got you going Neil. This forum is about alive as a 3,000 year old mummy.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 11:11 PM

Getting like the Asia board, isn't it? Nothing but travel chat.