What airline do you recommend for USA-AUSTRALIA?

Aug 12th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

What airline do you recommend for USA-AUSTRALIA?

Hi! I'm a student and will be traveling to Australia in a month and a half for ten days. Does anyone know of any super cheap airlines? I will be going from Cleveland...
Thank you!!!!!
Aug 12th, 2007, 07:40 PM

http://www.bestflights.com.au/cgi-bi...ights?mainlist

Have a look at the prices, note that the fares are from from Australia to the States. China Airlines, Eva Air and Air NZ appear to be the cheapest. I can't recommend the first two as I've never flown them but Air NZ is ok.
Aug 12th, 2007, 08:09 PM

I am confused here. Firstly there is not enough information in the question and then the answer also gives little information i.e. cost and also why would anyone expect that a Chinese Airline which does not fly direct from Australia to USA would be cheaper than those that do?
May I suggest that as a student then use some of your abilities in doing some research before asking a question without information i.e from where to where
Aug 12th, 2007, 08:46 PM

It is sometimes cheaper to fly to the States via Asia Lizzy. Much longer flight of course. Qantas tend to monopolise the eastern seaboard for direct flights so the prices are higher.
The link didn't work.
Check www.bestflights.com.au and use the "flight specials" menu.
Aug 12th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Though Lizzy you may well be on the right track and that Hani is possibly perhaps using this forum to help with some homework. I tend to assume the questions here are genuine and perhaps should be more sceptical in future.
Aug 12th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thank you and sorry for the confusion. I am searching for a flight from Cleveland, OH USA to Sydney Australia at the end of september.
I just hope someone knows of an affordable way to make such a long trip. I will look at the link that Cilla_tey posted, thanks!!!
Aug 12th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Will this trip be before or after your business trip around Europe hani because perhaps you can do a round the world trip and pick up on all those cities you need to go to and do it cheaper.
Aug 12th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Sorry Lizzy, actually, this australian trip is for my boyfriend, not for me, he is a student, i am not and we are traveling independently. I will be in Europe and not get back until the end of september. He will be leaving before I return. He was a bit lost after looking in all these websites like expedia, orbitz, etc...so i told him i would help him post here and maybe someone could help ( I just found this site yesterday and people have been incredibly helpful for my trip to Europe!). The around the world solution would have been great though if it were all for me...Thank you
Aug 12th, 2007, 11:59 PM

I too, would recommend you check out some of the Asian airlines. I know that Japan Airlines fly from eastern USA to Australia. I would also check out Korean Airlines and perhaps even Cathay, Malaysian, Eva etc.

These would all be quite a bit longer than a direct flight and may involve a stopover there and back. That much cheaper? Not really sure but I would think it would be worth a look.
Aug 13th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Have your BF check with his school. He may be eligible for a student fare. Also Google "student air fare" or something similar. Maybe someone who knows about how to find a student fare will post.
Aug 13th, 2007, 08:20 AM

You could try piecing together a route using the lower cost international airlines: e.g., whoever to YVR (Vancouver), then Oasis from YVR to HKG and Virgin to SYD, or whoever to HNL then Jetstar to SYD, but I doubt these will beat the all-in prices that one of the better search engines (e.g., kayak.com) brings up--which is about $1,700. It might be worth looking for a consolidator.
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Google "STA Travel" for information on student rates.

If Southwest flies out of Cleveland, you might be able to get a cheap fare to LAX, and then fly Qantas or Air New Zealand to Sydney.

Lee Ann
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone!!! i think with all these tips and advice he should be able to find something good! Best wishes to all!
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:23 AM

All these round-about ways of looking are a waste of time and money. Your best bet is to book with a good travel agent. The professionals can find you the best deal and route.