Adelaide & Barossa Valley

Jan 20th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Adelaide & Barossa Valley

Are there any tours or sites not to be missed while in this city and visiting the wine country? Is it best to be part of a guided tour or tour on one's own in the wine country? Any cool/nice hotels ( B&B)in Barossa valley that are highly recommended?

Lastly, has anyone taken the Overland train from Melbourne to Adelaide? I would like to break up the trip and not always rent a car.

THanks
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:17 PM

I have travelled on the Overland from Melbourne to Adelaide and reverse many times. It is a comfortable trip and I prefer it to driving. I have also driven many times and it is a boring drive. At least on the train (and I would suggest first class)you can enjoy the dining car etc. It is slow, about 10 hours, but all the carriages have recently been refurbished so you should have a great trip.
I would suggest you hire a car for the Barossa. You can stop at as many wineries as you like and it is a pleasant and easy drive. Go through Gawler then watch out for the turnoff to Lyndoch and Tanunda. Seppletsfield is a must see and then onto Angaston. There are many B & Bs in the Barossa, but have a look at this one http://www.seppeltsfieldvineyardcottage.com.au/
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:12 AM

You will either need to rent a car or take a tour to get to the Barossa Valley. A car would be better unless you wish to do a lot of wine tasting in which case it would be better to have a driver. Below is a link to a small tour company (2-6 people). I've never used them, just Googled them.

If you can get a nice hotel or B&B in or around Tanunda you may also be able to walk to a few of the wineries, although most will need transport.

The big hotel in the area is the Barossa Novotel (I haven't stayed there).

A few websites to get you started:

http://www.barossa.com/site/page.cfm

http://www.southaustralia.com/
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:17 AM

Sorry, missed the wine tour company website:

http://www.barossavalleytours.com/

Maggie Beer's Pheasant Farm may be of interest to visit too. Her pate is very nice.

http://www.maggiebeer.com.au/farmshop/

While in Adelaide, try Haigh's chocolates (cnr Rundle Mall and King William St).
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback!
I am definitely going to look into the Overland. Albeit slow, it does offer the chance of mixing up my modes of transportation!

Cheers!
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:21 AM

For what it's worth, the Australian police take drink driving very seriously. If you are going to do any sampling at the wineries, it would probably be best to go on a tour, arrange for a driver or have a designated driver who is authorized to drive your rental car.
You might want to check into the Barossa Wine Train which has various packages (standard and personalized) which might suit your purposes.
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM

The Barossa is about 60ks from Adelaide city so you will need transport of some sort to actually get there. The train only goes as far as Gawler which means you are still about 10ks shy of your destination.
The Barossa Wine Train only runs for special occassions so I would take DownUnder's advise and hire a car in the city then drive to the Barossa. Or take the train and hire a car in Gawler.
Gawler is a wonderful old town full of historic buildings - old pubs with wrought iron lace balconies, fabulous old churches etc. and my Mum lives there so I am very fond of Gawler.
And if you drive along the Williamstown Road and you see my sister, give her a wave from me.
Enjoy your trip.
sss.
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice SSS.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:13 PM

Hello Maico, if your budget allows, look at
www.jacobscreekretreat.com.au
for accommodation. It is quite unique and very beautiful. It is near Tanunda in the wine region.
Have fun!
Jan 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ozgirl for the recommendation.
Jan 25th, 2008, 03:36 AM

maico2602
i live in the Barossa Valley would be happy to give my opinions on accommodations & towns picked once you have narrowed down your search. the websites others have given you are a good start.
as to self drive around the barossa it depends if you are big drinkers. if you both want to sample wines through the area i would recommend you either have private driver or join on a tour. for the privelege of this you will be charged accordingly. it depends where you are from as to what you expect to pay but everything here is a little pricey not over the top but dont expect cheap.
happy to provide whatever info you need. regards kerry
Jan 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate your e-mail 64Kerry and will write back to you once I finalize my itinerary.
I do enjoy the wine and will most likely join a tour. Do you have any recommendations on these kinds of tours? I don't want to be on a huge bus with loads of people but rather want a smaller, more intimate tour; 2 - 4 couples??

Thanks
Jan 28th, 2008, 12:52 AM

hi yes can definately have small tour group in fact what ever you want is available. we cater very well to tourists. I am no way affiliated with any business here just wanted to be helpful as fodors has been to me in the past. i am happy for you to contact me direct by email for any other questions.
[email protected]
as you start to look at accommodation places to stay i think the best towns to be looking are either Angaston or Tanunda. both cute towns that you can walk around and a lot of B&Bs are walking distance to street.
good luck!
Apr 14th, 2008, 04:06 AM

Hi Maico,

Hope this reply isnt to late. If your wanting a truly unique tour of the Barossa valley then you Need to check out www.barossatrike.com.au

They do an amazing tour of all the major wineries and sights around the Barossa on a Trike!!! A truly unique and amazing experience.

As for a B&B, check out www.oldhamhouse.com.au its a beautifully restored home that is truely luxurious. They also offer special packages that include tours, dinners, and other treats.

Hope this helps. Enjoy
Apr 14th, 2008, 10:17 AM
dmlove

Hi all. We're big fans of Australian wine, but not particularly fans of wine tasting or of traveling 7,000 miles (from San Francisco) to look at grapes (which we can do in Napa, and don't!). Is the Barossa valley worth traveling to if we're not interested in wine tasting per se? Nice, interesting little towns? We were thinking of skipping it on our 2-3 week itinerary in favor of Sydney, Melbourne (tennis) and the Great Barrier Reef area. Let me know what you think.

Apr 14th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Dmlove, with only 2-3 weeks most people would probably suggest you skip Adelaide/Barossa Valley. You could do day trips from Sydney (ie Blue Mountains) or from Melbourne if you want to get out of the cities. This will save you travel time to and from Adelaide.

However, to see what the Barossa has to offer check out the following website and choose "Regions".

http://www.southaustralia.com/

Search this Thread