Search

6 hour layover in Auckland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 hour layover in Auckland

We have a 6 hour layover in Auckland after arriving from Honolulu, before we fly on to Dunedin.

Since we do not clear customs until we arrive to Dunedin, I gather we will not be able to leave the airport.

Is there anything we can do to pass this time ?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:09 AM

Hi there

If you are coming into AKL from Hawaii you will clear customs on landing unless you are transferring to the Air NZ shuttle to Christchurch (and clearing customs there) and changing there for Dunedin. This would be the only way for you not to clear immigration and customs before flying onto Dunedin.

If you have a six hour layover and cannot change your domestic flight to another earlier one (There are around 10 flights daily to Dunedin from AKL, though only a couple are nonstop) you can explore around the airport. Sample the duty free shopping whislt still airside before you go through customs. You can check out Butterfly Creek nearby and grab brunch/lunch there in the cafe. Have a round of minigolf next door.

Grab a cab and have "mini tour" of Auckland. You would have enough time to see the sights of a few of the city's volcanic domes and the waterfront.

Just a few ideas to start with. I would though check out whether you can get an earlier flight to Dunedin so you do not have to hang around and waste a day of your travels. Allow about two hours to comfortably clear customs/immigration and transfer to the domestic terminal.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

To change our flights would incur sigificant charges and not an option.

Is the airport near the city center ? How long will a cab ride from the airport to waterfront take , if that is where you recommend we head for a few hours.

I must say that I was disappointed with Air New Zealand. When I booked these tickets they cost over $1300 a person purchased on their Web site.

When the cost dropped to under $900 inside of a week I called to see if they would honor the new price- they would not.

So having this layover makes me even unhappier but I want to make the best of it.

Any other suggestions appreciated.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:09 AM

The traffic going into Auckland can be very bad, I assume you are arriving in the morning so are likely to get stuck in the inbound morning commute traffic. It's AT LEAST an hour each way.

There is a winery (Villa Maria) not far from the airport. They have decent food and do wine tasting. If you do the tasting, do one of the higher-end lines, not the cheap export stuff.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kiwi and Mlgb.

Those are very helpful bits of information.

So driving into the city center is probably going to consume much time.

Is there anything else near the airport ?

Thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Maria H suggested the Auckland Botanic Garden. You can search "Auckland layover" for ideas.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Kiwi- what is Butterfly Creek ?

Mlgb- thanks. I see the previous "layover" threads and ideas.

So just for my clarification : we clear customs in AKL, which means pick up our bags and check in with customs, and check bags in again with Air New Zealnd to Dunedin ?

At that point are we free to leave the airport, and come back again throught security ?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM

When you arrive Auckland, you clear passport control, then pick up your luggage, and then go through agriculture with your luggage (be sure not to pack any fresh foods, and declare ANYTHING that is edible as well as hiking boots, etc). You can change currency along the way. Tourist info desk has lots of free pamphlets (I like the AA club guides).

There's a free coffee/tea service offered in international arrivals, too.

There is a domestic transfer desk on the ground floor of the international terminal. Luggage will only be checked in if you have allowed at least one hour before the domestic flight. If you miss this check-in time you will have to have to make your own way to the domestic terminal. There is a free inter-terminal bus or follow the blue and white line sign posted walkway. (I think it's easier to walk, BTW).

Auckland airport has a website that is very handy. I believe it has some info on what to do on layovers.

http://www.auckland-airport.co.nz/airport_guide.php
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:45 PM

We too have a long layover before our domestic flight to Rotorua. My question is this: after disembarking from the plane, would we be able to access the Air New Zealand lounge before going through customs and immigration? My understanding is that the lounge is nice and has showers etc. and I think once we would leave that area, we wouldn't be able to return. We do qualify for access to the lounge. Thank you.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:07 PM

Hi Okoshi,

Sorry to hear you are having a hassle with Air NZ on changing the travel times. I am seriously suprised they did not book you on an earlier flight any way as part of your origial booking. Not very good on their behalf there.

Butterfly Creek is a tropical garden with natrually enough tropical butterflies flying around you and landing on you as well. There is a cafe there as well so you can grab a meal.

Travel to the city can bark like a dog on a work day morning. If you are arriving on the weekend, however, it should not take any longer than 1/2 an hour. On a weekday in rush hour closer to 1 hour.

The airport itself is 20kms due south of the CBD so it is not that close to the city centre. Nedw to the airport as far as attractions are concerned are the ones noted above. The reference to the Botanical gardens is a good one. It is in Manurewa which is only about 7 Kms away from the airport and you should not get caught in traffic going that way. Again there is a cafe there so you can grab brunch/lunch before your flight south.

BTW your domestic flight will not have food, only tea/coffee and a Buy On Board bar.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:41 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Suggest you check with Air NZ upon arrival and see if they can put you on an earlier flight to Dunedin. Airlines will sometimes do this if there's room - without charge.

There's always a chance that your luggage might not catch up with you until your later scheduled flight, but what's a few hours? Besides, the airline will most likely deliver the luggage to your hotel in Dunedin.

KatGio - You'll need to switch from the international to domestic terminal, which will require going through customs and immigration. Suggest you ask ground staff upon arrival if you can use the lounge in the international terminal before you exit. Never hurts to ask, right?
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Kiwi

Your suggestion to see if the airline will put us on an earlier flight once we arrive to AKL is a good one. Will definitely try that.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Again as we have the same problem of a six hour layover, I did indeed ask Air New Zealand if we could even waitlist for an earlier flight and the answer was a very firm NO. We would have to pay the change fee in addition to fare increase. We weren't real happy with that answer either.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 01:21 PM

If you check ANZ availability you will see that many flights are SOLD OUT. I found this out traveling Auckland to Dunedin. Not only could I not change my flight, more than a month ahead, when I booked three months ahead Dunedin was the only city I could use my FF miles to, and only if I took the late night flight. ANZ has a virtual monopoly on internal flights, so don't expect any favors from them about rebooking etc.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
WOW - this surprises me, as we've gotten on earlier Air NZ flights without any problems in the past. I've always found Air NZ to be very helpful, but if they're fully booked...