Kings Canyon: 4WD necessary ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Luritja Road to Kings Canyon doable with a 2WD car or a 4WD is necessary ?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

Ok, the previous post was incomplete..

My ideas was to drive from Ayers Rock to Alice via Kings Canyon, but after having had a look at the map I have 3 options.

1 - Ayers Rock, Lasseter Hwy, Luritja Road to Kings canyon and then to Alice via Mereene Loop and Hermannsburg

2 - from Kings Canyon, backtracking to Ernst Giles Road, Meteorite Crater, Stuart Hwy to Alice

3 - from Kings Canyon, backtracking to Ernst Giles Road, then to Hermannsburg via Finke Gorge NP, then to Alice

4 - from Kings Canyon, backtracking to Lasseter Hwy with sedan car, then Stuart Hwy to Alice

so the point is: sedan or 4WD ??

Is it correct that with sedan car I just have option no. 4 and a 4WD for options 1,2,3 ?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:54 AM

G'day Fabio,
you are spot on.

Your option 4 is the only one where the roads are fully sealed.

The others involve quite a bit of Dirt Roads on which if you are using a hired car you would loose the insurance cover.

If you have your own car then the Mereenie Loop Road is possible but only if you travel slowly and it hasen't been raining recently.

Take care out there,
Mike
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

thanks Mike

We are travelling from Europe, so we do not have our own car.
Would I loose the cover insurance also with the rented 4WD ?
Should it be like that, I have then to figure out whether to go to Kings Canyon as day trip from Yulara, as probably option 4 is a bit too long just in one day ! .... or overnight in Kings Canyon !
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Kings Canyon is beautiful and worth the trip, do you normally travel long distrances, we do and a couple of hours is nothing to us, but remember the scenery is mostly red earth (sand)and not a lot along the way till you get to the towns or roadhouses (petrol stations)to look at.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Hi Fabio,
if you are hiring a 4WD you should be ok on any of those roads as long as it hasn't just been raining. Check with the Hire company if they have any restrictions.

If it has been rainig recently it can even be a little difficult with a 4WD along the Merreenie Loop and the Ernest Giles Road.
If it's very wet then those roads may even be closed to all traffic.

@ Rosie,
I disagree. There is lots to see if you keep your eyes open and don't just "race" along the Highways.
Don't forget that Fabio is coming from Europe and he'll find the difference in the landscape, vegetation, wildlife and even the "emptyness" fascinatiing.

Cheers,
Mike
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi Rosie and Mike

I love travelling through deserts for hours(on roads, of course)and desolated landscapes and we always find spots to stop on the way !
Last year we drove through Namibia (thousands of km on gravel and dusty roads), some years ago in Arizona and also western Australia, from Perth to Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie.
Our kids love to collect sands of different colours, red is the favourite !

My concerns on 4WD roads are to get stuck somewhere in remote and isolated areas, maybe close to sunset and with the rest of the family in the car !

I would opt for a sedan car staying on the paved road !
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Thanks Mike! I always feel sad when people think our landscape's "empty" or boring. I'm Australian & frankly that red sandy country out there just takes my breath away. The first time I saw it, I couldn't believe the colours - was just like looking at a postcard (LOL). And, I love the flatness. You can see "beyond forever" ... aaahhh - making myself homesick! I want to go home to the West where I can't see the house next door!

Last time we did that drive between Uluru & Alice, there were mobs of camels & donkeys all over the place. And mirage lakes every now & again.

We stopped somewhere about 1/2 way (can't remember where) amongst the reddest of red sandhills, just on dusk & sat quietly watching the sunset and a couple of eagles gliding lazily above.

We're all different & I guess that's the magic of the human race; but the only time I want to see a roadhouse is when the petrol gauge is on the wrong side of "half full"

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 05:07 AM

Hi Fabio,
you didn't say at what time of the year you will be there.
If it's during our cooler months then you won't be alone on the Mereenie Loop.
There will be others traveling in either direction and out there people always help each other.
Of course if you have a tent with you then if it came to the worst ( getting stuck, breakdown ) and it's late, then you can camp there overnight.
Just think of it, what an adventure that would be for the kids

If you do decide on going along the Mereenie Loop and if you have an extra day to spare then a detour into Palm Valley would be a real adventure and experience. However you would have to camp there and definately would need a 4WD.
You could also do it as a Daytrip from Alice Springs.

@ Bokhara,
thanks for your responce.
I love the bush
I'm taking people on tours and get up that way about 6 times a year. I always find something new and different. Just love going to sleep next to my camp fire, looking at the sky, watching shooting stars, satellites, the odd meteorite shower and falling asleep with the sounds of the bush.
Waking up to the sounds of the birds before sunrise ... it's magical.

@ Fabio again, I just remembered. Should you happen to drive along the Stuart Hwy
towards Alice Springs late afternoon and if in a 4WD then look for a turnoff on your right, about 15 km past Stuart Well. It takes you to the Rainbow Valley. The sun setting on the colored sandstone cliffs is very spectacular.

Enjoy,
Mike.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi Mike

We will be there in the second half of august, when it is supposed to be dry...and probably "busy", too !!

I appreciate all your hints very very much. thank you

fabio

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:41 PM

Fabio, A great spot to stop between Alice and Yulara or Kings Canyon is Stuart's Well the home of Dinky the award winning piano playing and singing digo of central Australia.

We did the paved route, a day in Alice fabulous desrt park. Overnight at Kings canyon hike the canyon in the am and then onto Uluru 2 nights w/ hikes into the Valley of the winds , around Uluru and time at the cultural center

I'm formerly from New Mexico and the deserts of Oz are way cool

forse e italiano?

AndrewDavid
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:43 PM

AndrewDavid: Where did you stay at Kings Canyon? We're planning a sortie later in the year and would appreciate your advice.
Thanks & cheers
Bokhara
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 01:08 AM

Ah, Ozmike,

"Just love going to sleep next to my camp fire, looking at the sky, watching shooting stars, satellites, the odd meteorite shower and falling asleep with the sounds of the bush.
Waking up to the sounds of the birds before sunrise ... it's magical."

I agree ..absolutely. But how many folks posting here and hiring a car have that in mind? 1 out of 10? 1 out of 20? probably 1 out of 50.

Suspect they are all off to drive from one hotel to another (preferably a/c and with a pool). Each to his own - and of course you have to have the gear. But imho (yes - I sound like a repeating record) - hiring a car is not always the only option and if you want to experience what ozMike describes take a camping tour. And be enlightened by a guide who knows how to see.

Folks - I'm just saying this because once done, never forgotten (and generally always looked for again).

Cheers.

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

AndrewDavid

I am so happy I just received today the Australia road atlas by Hemamaps !!
I have located the spot called Stuarts Well , half the way between the hwys junction and Alice, right ?
We will follow your advice !
Yes, we are from Italy and this is our 3rd trip to Australia. I love this country, my favourite !!
You are from NM ? Well my favourite state in the US is Arizona, never been to NM, so we have something in common....: flats, deserts, OZ .....

I will post another thread for other queries....

fuzzylogic: I would probably one of those 50 if I just did not have 2 kids travelling with me.....
I have to adapt to some compromises for the family

ciao
fabio
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Hi Fabio,
I just answered you other post, Sorry I repeated Andrew's advise about "Dinky Di".

@ Fuzzy.
Too right you are!
The problem for many is that their time in OZ is usually very limited. Hence long daily distances an Motel accommodation are "preprogrammed" into their Itineraries.
Then, there are also compromises as Fabio mentioned.

Still, it does no harm to let people know that there are alternatives

Cheers,
Mike
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 12:06 AM

fabio, I have fond memories of Santa Fe. I lived there for 15 years. And its a great place to visit . But I have been living for the last year and a half in Victoria British Columbia having given up on my native land for the kinder gentler Canada

ci vediamo

AndrewDavid
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 03:19 AM

Hi Fabio,

If your kids like red sand then you should definitely try to do the Mereenie Loop Road - it's as red as you are ever going to get!!

Mike's hint about a detour to Palm Valley is a good one. We did not go there on our first trip outback but included it on our second trip. Oh it was just wonderful - we had the best time and the most beautiful skies at sunset that have been hard to beat. We went there expecting no facilities at all but to arrive and find wonderful hot showers and flushing toilets - well it was luxury, sheer luxury!

I absolutely adored my trip to Italy (I think I was an Italian in another life actually - no really!) and I hope you enjoy this one to Oz just as much.

Ciao Ciao
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

stormbird

It is more than 20 years than I do not drive a 4wd car. I have to admit that
I would probably loose the best part of the Outback when staying on paved roads only.
Assuming that roads will be dry in the second half of august, how does this Mereenie Loop look like ? holes ? stones? sand ? all of them ? flat or up and down ?
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Hi Fabio,

The Mereenie Loop Road is flat, with red dirt. It shouldn't be very difficult at all to drive on in August. I say go for it!