Search

2 hour layover in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 hour layover in Sydney

I am flying into Sydney on my way back to the United States. I have a two hour layover in Sydney. Is it possible to see any of the city in that time? Would I have time to make it to Sydney Harbor and back? I think the name of the airport is Kingsfordsmith (in case there is more than one airport). Is there anything near the airport worth visiting?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Considering that the airlines recommend you check in for international flights at least 2 hours ahead, I would suggest that you don't stray out of the airport. Going through security, passport control and baggage check-in may very well eat into most of your layover.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:43 AM

Whatever the airlines say, you presumably will have a boarding card for the Sydney-US flight, and will have your bags checked through to the US, at your originating airport.

If that airport is outside Oz you can't go throgh Oz immigration and its Food Police in time to do what you want.

But if you're coming from an Australian airport, and your flight's running to time, you might just manage it. Certainly I've done it on flights to the UK (where they want you at the gate 30 mins before take off), though US-bound flights might impose nastier security hurdles.

From the Domestic terminal, there's a train every 10-15 minutes, taking about 18 mins to Circular Quay, which gives you the view of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. From Circular Quay back to the International terminal, it's 5 mins longer. See www.airportlink.com.au

Tight, but nothing's really closer. Sydney's got two assets - the harbour view and a great train service to it. Personally I'd risk it.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:20 AM

I wouldn't risk it.

All international flights departing for the US undergo extra security.

I don't think you will have much time as soon as you allow for the time back and forth to the airport.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:12 PM

STAY AT THE AIRPORT!!! I would never risk that in a million years. The airport in Sydney also has free computer internet access so keep yourself busy buying mags and check some email. I would not leave the airport and risk missing your flight.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:29 PM

I don't think you have time to leave the airport and still make your flight. You may have to wait in any number of lines just to board your next flight.

As airports go, though, Sydney's facility is not bad at all. It has quite a few shops including a surprisingly good bookstore.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 07:40 AM

With only a 2 hour layover in Sydney, I wouldn't risk leaving the airport.

I hope you'll get good views of the harbour as on you come in to land and when you take off.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:25 AM

I wouldn't think of leaving the airport! You leave no room for error. John