Connecting thru Sydney to Cairns

Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connecting thru Sydney to Cairns

We're finalizing our planning for 3 weeks in oz in July...beginning in Sydney & ending in Port Douglas. Our son (age 21) is joining us in Port Douglas, at the end of our trip. He'll be traveling from the US on a United Airlines flight from SFO which arrives in Sydney's International terminal (Terminal 1) at 6:10 am...I'm going to be booking his flight from Sydney to Cairns separately on Qantas (that's a long story). The options seem to be a flight which leaves from Terminal 1 at 8:10am, or ones which leave from Terminal 3 at 9:20 or later. The United flights seem to have a good on-time record, so I'm not too concerned about that, but I don't know how long will it take him to clear customs and immigration...is two hours enough time to clear customs and recheck his bags (in the same terminal)?

Thanks for your help.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:28 PM

Hard to say.It is feasible but I think a bit risky. Most incoming flights from Asia and elsewhere come in around that same time in the morning and there is usually a large crowd all trying to do the same thing. Also there will be a lot of people booking in to go to Cairns so that side of it may take a while too especially as it may involve some security checks too. I may be putting you off unnecessarily and others may be able to give you more reliable information. I would personally feel the time available will be a bit tight even if the US flight is on time.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:21 PM

I agree with Peteralan. Two hours seems a bit tight, not worth sweating it. Even the 9:20 from Terminal 3 doesn't leave a lot of room for error considering there is a bus ride involved and perhaps another queue. From my experience, Sydney Airport can get awfully mobbed first thing in the AM when all the international flights arrive.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:39 PM

I'd definitely go for the later flight at 9.20am. The domestic terminal is separate from the international one and involves a bus ride across the airport.
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:15 AM

Remember, it's a LONG flight. There are all sorts of ways it might be delayed between SFO and SYD. I would expect to be a big groggy from the flight too, so you might not want to depend on being able to grab bag and find your way around an unfamiliar airport too quickly and efficiently.