Sydney airport Transfer time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked an airline ticket from Melbourne to Sydney on Qantas then on United Business to Houston-my luggage will be sent all the way through to Houston.
I didn't realize there is a terminal change involving shuttles and a repeat security and immigration check at the international terminal in Sydney. I am concerned that my layover of 1 hour 40 minutes may not be long enough-even though United says the legal transfer time in Sydney is 30 minutes !
Can anyone tell me their experience related to this issue-Thanks
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 02:23 PM

I would want to allow more time to change terminals and check in for your onward flight. You may have to wait for the shuttle bus or your flight may be late arriving. Can you change your Qantas flight to Sydney?
We did a similar flight a few years ago and I remember it being a rush even though we had allowed plenty of time, particularly since we had to get seat allocation for the onward flight at Sydney airport. I wouldn't want to risk missing an international flight but then I am a bit of a panic merchant! We're the people who get to the airport hours in advance and sit patiently waiting for our flight.
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 08:17 AM

There is a complementary shuttle bus that goes between the Domestic and Internationals between 6AM and 9PM (7 days a week). The ride takes about 10 minutes There's also a "for a fee - $6.40AUS/person - train that takes only 2 minutes between terminals. It runs from 5AM to Mid-night, 7 days/week).

Yes, you'll have to clear their version of Security and Passport check - while it's impossible to predict how long that will take I can tell you that in the last 10 years of international travel (multiple trips a year) that has never proved to be a major point of delay when transiting between connecting flights.

FYI - Qantas offers something at Sydney called a "Seamless Transfer" at Sydney Airport for customers making Domestic/International Connections on certain flights (including ones operated by partner airlines)- you might want to contact Qantas to see if your flight/itinerary qualifies for this service.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks I will give Qantas a call-I would hate to miss the direct flight to Houston.