Great Ocean Road drive question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2018, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites, just beginning to plan second trip to Australia, I have FF tix on hold until tonight for a trip in March. One quick question which may determine whether I have to make a change in reservations: If driving between Melbourne and Adelaide Hills on GOR, would it make a big difference which direction you go? Currently, we would be driving from Adelaide to Melbourne, but I wonder if the other direction is better because the drive would be on the "ocean" side. Thanks.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 09:57 AM

I can’t think of a reason that’s hugely compelling but -
​​​​​— if you want to save the best for last, I would go Adelaide to Melbourne since the most scenic parts are closer to the latter.
- going from Adelaide to Melbourne, you won’t have the sun in face later in the day.

We did the GOR Adelaide to Melbourne in 1986, then as a loop to/from Melbourne in 2012. On the latter trip, we visited the Grampian Ranges on the return. Beautiful, lots of wildlife. Worth visiting if you have the time. A possible route would then be Adelaide-Halls Gap-Warrnambool-Apollo Bay-Lorne-Melbourne.

Ralph

Last edited by RalphR; Jun 4th, 2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Typos
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 02:45 PM

My personal preference would be Melbourne to Adelaide as most of the small parking areas along the GOR seem to be on the ocean side.
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 01:19 AM

Marg is correct. If you do Melbourne to Adelaide it is easy to pull in on the left and stop for a photo opportunity.. It can be done if you go the other way, but can get tricky as it is only one lane for each direction with not a lot to spare for u turns.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 12:26 PM

Again a minor consideration as there’s not much traffic.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 02:48 PM
tt7

Originally Posted by RalphR
Again a minor consideration as there’s not much traffic.
That probably depends on when you do it - do it now (in the middle of winter) and there may be not much traffic but try it in January, in the middle of summer when everybody's on holiday, and you're more likely to find it's bumper-to-bumper with nowhere to park.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

trip is in March. Rethinking itinerary as I write - - the idea of flying from ADL to MEL and driving a loop might make more sense. Will follow up on my other post in another week or so. Thanks everyone for your help so far.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 05:26 AM

“but driving it east to west (Melbourne to Warrnambool) would probably be preferable as you're by the ocean/parking places, rather than on the 'wrong' side. The best parts of the drive are from Lorne to Apollo Bay”

Personally, I found the section of the GOR west of Cape Otway (12 Apostles, etc) to be the most interesting - should not be missed. I’d be surprised if March traffic would be heavy enough to make direction of travel much of a consideration. We visited in November - it was not very busy and would assume March would be similar, school summer holidays being over.