Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Your favorite (small) place to stay in Bangkok?

Jan 15th, 2019, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Warning: Long Intro. Just hit scroll down button to get to the actual question.

Hello everybody,

I had planned to take a friend on his first intercontinental trip to the US this May. But he had suffered some minor financial issue - nothing serious, but enough to reconsider spending a truckload of money in NYC and DC. Yes, I know that there are a zillion of budget-friendly ways to visit the US, but NYC was on his must-see list, and he just does not feel comfortable to make his first big trip focused on bargain hunting in a relatively expensive environment.

I was surprised that when I told him that even a smaller budget can take you a long way in my favorite city, Bangkok, he became interested and wants to try it out. Surprised because he is usually not that adventurous and I had thought that Bangkok was outside his comfort zone.
Anyway, I checked airfares and was able to score a really good deal for a nonstop return from Vienna to Bangkok on EVA Airways' new 787 dreamliner.. in business for less than 2K. This will be my birthday present for him, costs for accomodation etc. will be shared.
We will be away for 7 nights/ 9 days, second half of November - his only other available time slot this year. I know that there still is a chance of getting some rain, but experiencing the relatively short but massive tropical downpours can be quite something for someone who had never left Europe so far.

The big question now is where to stay.

I have been to Bangkok several times, but was able to either stay with friends in Khlong Toey (when they still lived in Bangkok) or had to stay at a designated business/ convention hotel. I am fairly familiar with the central parts of Bangkok, but have no real knowledge where to find nice and affordable accomodation.

For those who skipped the intro: Travel will be 7 nights, 2nd half of November. Budget is a bit flexible, but I would start by trying to find something for less than /$ 100 per night, per room.

Preferred location: close to BTS/MRT, i.e. Silom, Sathorn, Lumphini Park, Sukhumvit (preferably not further East than Ekkamai BTS); eateries, convenience store just around the corner.. not at the very end of some long Soi where you'd walk 10 minutes just to get to the main road.

Accomodation: Guest house or small hotel or AirBnB in a (relatively!) quiet neighborhood, with a bit of green/garden and a pool (shared pool/garden will do). Does not have to be a fancy boutique hotel with designer amenity kits, gourmet chef on premesis and an infinity pool, but anything clean and nice will do. It can be a bit older, with some quirky character as long as it's not just dated and dusty.

Any ideas or inspirations are as always very welcome.
I also appreciate critisizm when you think that the mentioned preferences re. accomodation need to be reconsidered.
Thanks!
Jan 15th, 2019, 06:27 AM

Four places I stayed in Bangkok in 2011: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ay-of-bangkok/

This is probably closest to your outline, but no garden that I remember: Baan Sukhumvit Inn Soi 18 Official Website

Personally, I prefer to stay by the river. Better view.
Jan 15th, 2019, 09:01 AM

My favorite place to stay in Bangkok is in none of the areas you mention but I consider it part of our job to mention places an OP may not be aware of. Called Ibrik Resort, it's a 3 room upscale guesthouse located across the river from the Royal Palace, in a more local neighborhood with a market & express boat stop nearby.

I stayed with a friend in a twin ground floor room built over the water so intimate with the life of the river, simply wonderful. As are the staff. Highly recommended.

https://www.ibrikresort.com

Last edited by MmePerdu; Jan 15th, 2019 at 09:09 AM.
Jan 15th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to both of you.
And yes, MmePerdu, I really appreciate it when I'm pointed towards options that I had not been aware of yet.
Jan 15th, 2019, 05:23 PM

" Travel will be 7 nights, 2nd half of November. Budget is a bit flexible, but I would start by trying to find something for less than €/$ 100 per night, per room."

-

In Bangkok a basic hotel with A/C, hot water, private bathroom, TV and clean linen begins around 600 - 800 baht per night I think this is around 20 pounds. A hotel at half the budget price of 100 pounds is still pretty good. (I have no problem with any hotel in Bangkok from 600 to 1000 baht. I never use weight rooms, gyms, saunas, hairdressers or even pools. Fewer amenities that are never used the cheaper the price.)

" Guest house or small hotel or AirBnB in a (relatively!) quiet neighborhood, with a bit of green/garden and a pool (shared pool/garden will do). "

-

Siam area. Shopping, access to Skytrain, walk to restaurants, etc.
Siam Bangkok - Information Guide - Everything you Need to Know about Siam (UPDATED!)

Maybe Pathumwan Princes. (MBK shares the same Skytrain stop.) Use taxi during day hours to popular historic landmarks that often close by dark. Shared tours available for things out of the city area. (River Kwai, Ayutthaya - Bang Pa In, etc.)
https://www.pprincess.com/?utm_sourc...652db%3A8002y1

* I personally stay in the Nana - Asoke area. I like being in a lively area late at night. Good restaurants, malls, nightlife, Skytrain, etc.

If the budget fits you can check out the Centre Point At Terminal 21 Mall. Skytrain and subway stops close by. At a modern mall with a good food court and other shopping, etc.
https://www.grandecentrepointterminal21.com/

Good luck.

Last edited by SirHalberd; Jan 15th, 2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: typo
Jan 18th, 2019, 02:07 AM

Are you doing your whole 7 nights in Bangkok? I wanted to suggest Ayutthaya, which a lot of people do as a day trip but which is really worth an overnight. Not only does it give you more time to explore the beautiful ruins, and to get to some that are less busy than the main bus tour favourites, you can also visit some of the excellent markets (produce markets and night street food ones and a fascinating amulet one). The hotel we stayed in there was 2,800 baht a night in high season, and you could either rent a car or use bikes to get from there into town. It was gorgeous, and I wish we'd had an extra night there to take advantage of the property itself. I run through our favourite places and the hotel itself here.

We topped and tailed our trip in Bangkok, first half next to Nana BST station, in Sukhumvit. Liked this location a lot, bustling, good transport, loads of cheap eats, great atmosphere.
For the last few nights we did in Silom, which I didn't personally like as much.
Jan 18th, 2019, 06:02 AM

Have a look at The New Siam Riverside Hotel on Phra Athit, or one of it's sister guest houses. All in the Banglamphu Area.

New Siam Riverside, as it's name suggests sits right on the Chao Phraya River, and is only a two minute walk from Pier 13 for the Orange Flag Ferries.

It's quiet, yet band restaurants to suit all pockets are within a short walk, as are some of the major must-see sights.
Jan 19th, 2019, 01:17 AM

Another vote for the New Siam Riverside, a great mid range place. Not near a BTS but getting to one by river is easy, cheap and fun (although you have to wait a while for one to come along). Good access to the Grand Palace, Wat Po and Chinatown with lots of great restaurants around.

Not usually a fan of changing hotels unless I have to but, with a week to play with, I would consider splitting your time, maybe between the river and say Siam Square which at the junction of the two main BTS lines making it perfect for getting around. Staying at somewhere like the NSR would free up cash to enable some where a bit more plush. 4/5* hotels are still great value in Bangkok.

Stayed in most areas over the years but recently have avoided the lower numbered Sois on Sukumvit, Nana, Etc. as that area increasing seems to be getting increasingly tacky, especially at night.
Jan 19th, 2019, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional input! Very much appreciated!

Re: Ayutthaya -- I have that on my list. But will wait till we get there to see if my travel companian needs a bit of a break from Bangkok or not. The plan is to stay the full week in Bangkok. And even when we do that one night in Ayutthaya to keep our accomodation in Bangkok as base and travel to Ayutthaya with just a small bag.
Jan 20th, 2019, 07:04 AM

Getting to Ayutthaya by regular 3rd Class only train from Hualamphong Station is a proper Thai experience. Mix with the locals, and enjoy. Takes about 2 hours. No need to buy tickets in advance.

Ayutthaya train station is a really pleasant provincial station, and about a one minute walk from a little ferry than crosses the river to the main town.

Very few tourists stop overnight, which is one of the advantages of the place. There's a bit of understated nightlife. Grab a copy of Lonely Planet to see how the ground lies.

Sitting at a bar by the river, close to the ferry pontoon, at dusk is a pleasant way to see out the daylight.
Jan 21st, 2019, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Update:
Since I hesitated too long to book, I missed a special low rate on booking.com for the Civic Horizon Hotel on Sukhumvit, very close to Ekkamai BTS.
The hotel looked quite nice, smaller than the big ones in that area, but quite new. Studio with breakfast would have been €400 per week, not more than €700 per week.
When I looked what was also available in that area, I noticed the Sky Walk Condominiums. Not exactly my idea of a "smaller hotel", actually, it's a 50 storey highrise. But since it comes with very good cancellation policy (free until Nov. 1st), I just booked one apartment for 360 a week. Without breakfast, but with our "own" rooftop bar
Gives some peace of mind to look for something else to pop up in the upcoming months...
Jan 22nd, 2019, 12:56 AM

High rise....yuk. You're much better off v.close to the river, and further upstream, like around Pier 13. Old Bangkok, a lot of open space, and you can see the sky without looking vertically.

Just my opinion of course.
Jan 22nd, 2019, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

If I was traveling on my own, I'd be a bit more "adventurous".
My travel companion has travelled quite a bit within Europe, but never outside the "1st world bubble".
Hence, trying to compromise and have a more modern, sanitized version of SE Asia to stay in after exploring all parts of Bangkok.
Jan 22nd, 2019, 05:06 AM

Banglamphu is relatively modern and sanitized. The Chao Phraya River is the ticking heartbeat of Bangkok, and you simply can't beat staying right by it.
Jan 22nd, 2019, 05:21 AM

On our most recent visit to Bangkok we stayed at ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai in Banglamphu. Both "modern and sanitised” it may well meet your friends requirements.
Jan 22nd, 2019, 06:38 AM

Didn't realize the Viengtai had been rebranded! Is it still the Bangkok base for Intrepid Travel?
Jan 22nd, 2019, 08:07 AM

https://www.charliehousepinklao.com/en/
A pretty place, some thing you looking for.
Mar 5th, 2019, 09:16 AM

Best small hotel would be Adelphi Suites Nana and Sukhinvit area!
Mar 6th, 2019, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by lookingforadventure View Post
Best small hotel would be Adelphi Suites Nana and Sukhinvit area!
I can second this, we stayed in the same place for our Sukhumvit stay. Loved the space of the apartment for the low price.