Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Penninsula Hotel Bangkok? Compared to Oriental

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
I have been doing some research into the Oriental and the Penninsula hotels in Bangkok. Has anyone stayed at either of them? Is one better than the other? I have found some great rates for the Oriental for the time I will be there. Also, does the Penninsula have it's own website? I can't seem to find one for it.
Thanks!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 06:19 PM

It's spelled with one 'n'. www.peninsula.com/

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 06:25 PM

The Peninsula does have a website - Peninsula.com - there is only the one "n" that's probably why you haven't found it - its the groups site so just follow through to the Bangkok hotel.

We have stayed there three times and are heading back again later this year. It is a wonderful hotel, very very friendly and everything you could want. From visit to visit the staff remember us and make an effort to come out to greet us. We are Australian so aren't into big tipping etc so they certainly don't remember us from that point of view - they are just really friendly, nice people. We haven't stayed at the Oriental but personally I just get a better feeling when I walk though the Pen. Usually it is also a much cheaper option than the Oriental although it is getting dearer. Last year they won best hotel in Asia and 2nd in the world. We enjoy it so much that we try to schedule our trips through Bangkok just to stay there!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 07:03 PM

I have stayed at the Oriental. I think the kind of person you are should decide which hotel to stay in. The Oriental is understated, quiet, old money, traditional, aristocratic. The Peninsula is brand new to Bangkok. It is well-appointed, luxurious. I would say it is new money, an upstart. If you are the kind of person who would be intimidated by the Oriental, I would stay at the Peninsula. The Oriental is more costly.

I would never, ever stay anywhere in Bangkok but The Oriental. John G.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:17 AM

Just to add to the confusion...we stayed in Dec./Jan. at the Shangri-La and the Oriental. The room at the Oriental was in best furnished hotel we have ever stayed in. The Oriental is "the place" in Bangkok for a special meeting, date, wedding. The lobby is often quite a scene. But we spent a good bit of time at the swimming pool. Bangkok is hot! The pools at the Shangri-La are much better, larger, prettier, less crowded. We did not stay at the Pen, but could see their pool from our rooms. It looked better than the Oriental pools. FYI..we stayed on the Club floor of the Shangri-La. The rooms have just been redone very well and they have the best club lounge and food we have ever seen. We would stay at the Shang when we go back to Bangkok.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:29 PM

I had dinner at the Shangri-la, at Angelini's, which was superb. However, although the Shangri-la was well-appointed, with a beautiful pool area strung with tiny white lights, I thought the hotel very noisy, crowded. It was a convention-type hotel. If you wanted a busy, lively, convivial atmosphere, the Shangri-la would be a nice place to stay. But, I like peace and quiet, that is why I love the Oriental.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:12 PM

i vote for the penn, although we have not stayed at the oriental, but have had several meals there and have frequently been through the lobby areas...
the oriental is old world in the best sense of that term, not really what i would call "old money"...
both are 5* of course...i do think the oriental is living off of reputation, which it enhances with good service.. i think there is a certain pressure there, unspoken, but non-the-less there...there have been lots of comments about the entrance to the lobby by so-called undesirables (people in shorts, sandles, etc)...everyone looks great in their lobby and they wish to keep it that way, but in a hot humid city who looks fresh and cool all the time especially if you are a tourist...??
the penn is a bit more relaxed, and maybe has its own up tightness...
pools....penn's is long and narrow, with 3 levels, and not deep...it has a lovely setting...
the oriental is in a garden but seems small and almost put there because it has to be, not cause they want it...
the best pool in bkk is at the marriott resort and spa--barr none...

you will find rate specials on the web site for penn...i paid $170 incl breakfast, 3 day skytrain pass, high tea one day this past november---that was a level two room--right now i think that is about $10 cheaper

i vote for the penn...or do what we do---stay at both and judge for yourselves....they are right across the river from each other so you could move quite easily....????
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 08:00 PM

Some might describe the Oriental as "Old Money", I would just describe it as "Old Lady." It is past its prime. Everything is faded. It is lovely in a way that is reminiscent of the past and the glamour of years gone by, but it just looks tired now. The lounge chairs and towels at the pool are faded and turning brown. The room where they serve high tea smells slightly musty. Even the lobby has worn couches and chairs. Nice when you want to reminisce about the Bangkok of yore, but . . .

The Peninsula is where it is at! Everything about it is so well done. The lobby is breathtaking and tea there is such a luxurious experience (as is every aspect of a stay there.) We stayed in a Deluxe room and the large all teak dressing area, the huge bathroom with the flat screen tv over the tub and the glass shower with a seat, and the room with its gorgeous furnishings and raised inlaid ceiling all blew us away. Every detail is considered down to the uniforms worn by the staff at each restaurant at various times of the day. Speaking of which, dinner at Mei Jiing, the Chinese restaurant is an exquisite experience. The pool area is beautiful and we loved the raised cabanas with the quiet fans that made us feel so refreshed and relaxed. The Peninsula made us feel like honored guests and we can't wait to return there.

As for the Shangri-La, it is very attractive but is large and convention like, almost Vegas-esque.

There are amazing package deals for the Peninsula which make it ultra affordable. You won't be disappointed.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 08:27 PM

Darling, those faded carpets, the old furniture at the Oriental.....those are called ANTIQUES.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 09:14 PM

ruckus---you hit the nail on the head, but you were hard on the oriental, but i agree that the penn is where it is at....
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 05:52 PM
DMG

Listen to msruckus! The Peninsula would definitely be my choice. I stayed at The Oriental 15 years ago and thought it was very nice with excellent service. Last month, we stopped in Bangkok on a cruise and visited both hotels, having lunch at The Oriental. We later went to the Pen for tea. The pool area at the Pen was gorgeous and much cooler due to some shade than that at the Oriental's. It was much quieter in the lobby, much less touristy. I now would consider going back to Bangkok just to stay at the Peninsula.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 02:18 PM

Bertrz - have stayed at the Oriental and Sukothai Hotels in Bangkok. The Sukothai is far and away the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed at. It absolutely exuded Thai culture amd beauty.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 09:54 PM

My wife and I have stayed at both the Oriental and the Peninsula on different trips to Bangkok. While we enjoyed the Oriental on our first trip, we preferred the Peninsula, where we stayed in a "junior suite" for only about $30 a night more than a regular room. Our daughter was with us and was able to sleep on nice roll-a-way in the living/sitting room while we slept in the bedroom. I agree that the Oriental is somewhat faded, while the Peninsula is new and luxurious. It is now our favorite city hotel. While they are both great hotels, we would vote for the Pninsula and will stay there again when next in Bangkok.