Multiple Entry & Exit: Vietnam

Mar 5th, 2019, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Multiple Entry & Exit: Vietnam

Greetings all! I am researching for a 7 month trip to SE Asia from mid-Sept 2019 to mid-April 2020. I see I can get a 30 day VISA for Vietnam online. We hope to travel all around SE Asia, following the "good" weather recommendations, so wanted to spend time in Northern Vietnam in mid-October for up to 30 days, then exit the country and head to Laos and Northern Thailand for a while (maybe 30-60 days), then re-enter Vietnam and explore central and south Vietnam.

QUESTIONS:
  • If we get our initial Vietnam Visa online, can we then apply for a new Visa when we re-enter a month or two later (on-site)?
  • Also, when applying for a Visa online, do I have to indicate the exact date of entry and exit? I do realize that the Visa is good for 30 days only, but we were hoping to stay flexible during our long stay and are not sure exactly when we'd be arriving in Vietnam, or when we'd like to exit.
Thank you for any input or suggestions!

Tracy
Mar 5th, 2019, 09:57 AM

There are also three month multiple entry visas which might make more sense in your situation.
Mar 5th, 2019, 01:47 PM

You can use an E-Visa for both visits.

You could also get a Visa On Arrival letter (VOA) for a three month multiple entry visa (although do note that it only lasts for 87days! Happy to share a few agencies that provide this service if you want.

A 3 month multiple entry visa would be more expensive than two evisas so would probably only make sense if you plan on making more than two entries or you are unable to plan your travels more than three days ahead.

E-Visas can be used at 30 odd air and land entry points - entry and exit points have to be specified. The Visa is valid for 30 days from the date requested, the exit date has to be specified but doesn’t appear on the evisa itself.

It take three days for an E Visa to be processed, often less. Presumably you would know your plans in that timeframe so it shouldn’t be a problem.

A VOA has to be used at a specified airport - Saigon, Hanoi or Da Nang for the first entry but may be used at land borders thereafter.

This is as it stands at present but visas and Vietnam are very much a moveable feast so do check your own governments website.

PS if you are from one of several European countries then there is also 15 days visa free entry available.
Mar 6th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston View Post
You can use an E-Visa for both visits.

You could also get a Visa On Arrival letter (VOA) for a three month multiple entry visa (although do note that it only lasts for 87days! Happy to share a few agencies that provide this service if you want.

A 3 month multiple entry visa would be more expensive than two evisas so would probably only make sense if you plan on making more than two entries or you are unable to plan your travels more than three days ahead.

E-Visas can be used at 30 odd air and land entry points - entry and exit points have to be specified. The Visa is valid for 30 days from the date requested, the exit date has to be specified but doesn’t appear on the evisa itself.

It take three days for an E Visa to be processed, often less. Presumably you would know your plans in that timeframe so it shouldn’t be a problem.

A VOA has to be used at a specified airport - Saigon, Hanoi or Da Nang for the first entry but may be used at land borders thereafter.

This is as it stands at present but visas and Vietnam are very much a moveable feast so do check your own governments website.

PS if you are from one of several European countries then there is also 15 days visa free entry available.
Thank you for this information. We are from USA.

Questions:
Do you mean that the VOA three month multiple entry visa is only valid for 87 days total, from the issue date?
With an E-Visa, with a specified exit date, could you exit earlier than planned?
With an E-Visa, do you have to have the ability to print? We would only have our cell phones or tiny laptop with us - and probably wouldn't be able to print a document.

Thank you very much!

Tracy
Mar 6th, 2019, 11:46 AM

You are welcome Tracy. In answer to your questions, Yes, yes and yes!

Why it is 87 days I do not know! The Vietnamese authorities are always changing the rules but that was certainly the case on our last visit. If you apply for a VOA you need to state your intended date of entry. (this is the date you want your visa to start from). The start date of your visa itself will be the day you actually arrive - you are enter Vietnam at a later date (up to your exit date) but not before that date, make sure you take time zone differences into account. You must leave by the exit date stated in the visa.

You will download the evisa from the website once issued. You need to present a paper copy at immigration. Your airline will also want to see it on check in before they let you on the plane. Even if you apply say in Bangkok, any hotel will let you email it to them to print out. I do it all the time.

If there is any possibility of you exceeding the 87 days then go for two evisas. I would allow 3 full days, preferably 4 before your entry to Vietnam to be on the safe side. Best to avoid weekends (although it is called evisa, it is very much a few people in an office inputting all the details manually!).

If you are definitely only entering the country twice and for less than 30 days and the entry points are listed on the evisa website ( which the almost certainly will be) I would definitely go for two evisas.
Apply for the evisa @ https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn make sure you have scanned copies of your passport page and a passport photo on your phone ready to upload.