Vietnam Visa on Arrival

Jul 8th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Vietnam Visa on Arrival

Has anyone used the visa on arrival service in Vietnam? Was this service reliable?

Thanks!
Jul 8th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Note that there is no visa on arrival in VN. I assume you are referring to a pre-arranged visa that is then picked up on arrival. I have not used this service, though I have heard reports of other who have. It's always more expensive to use these services than to get your visa in your home country or at a VN embassy or consulate in another country in SE Asia.
Jul 9th, 2005, 02:38 PM

if you are in the USA, get a visa from the VN consulate in LA. they are friendlier and allow you a month visa to enter-exit at any time within that month. $60.00. you can do the paperwork on line and mail it with PP and 2 pics. The VN embassy wanted the specific days of entry-exit, wich when trying to plan is difficult with air from BKK-SGN.

you can also try asiatravel.com

they have a visa service when in bkk but it is $$$.
when you enter VN please declare your electronic goods (camera, cam, walkman)so their wont be a 'prickly' and officious agent delaying your exit!
Jul 9th, 2005, 09:40 PM

I used the service a few years ago (less than 5 years) and it was fine. We had decided at the last minute to go to Vietnam, so it was easier for us. Absolutely no problems. I just made sure I had a printout of the confirmation that they would have our visas waiting for us and a mobile phone number of someone who worked for the company (I'd get a couple back up numbers just to be safe - they should all have mobile numbers).

This is a pretty common service, so I think it's very reliable. People use it all the time. (Sorry, I don't remember the name of the company we used - I just found it online).

Good luck!
Jul 10th, 2005, 06:36 PM

is there a vietnam consulate in san fransisco? we are stuck trying to figure out how to get a visa from hawaii?
my daughter will be travelling with us and can drive to sf if we can get visas there...anyone know about this??
Jul 10th, 2005, 07:50 PM

I got my VN visa from the VN embassy in DC. I got the forms from their web site, printed them out and mailed them with our passports and money order (certified mail, return reciept requested) Got our passports and visas back in about a week.
Jul 11th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Yes, there is an V.N. consulate in San Francisco. It's located downtown near California Street.
http://www.vietnamconsulate-sf.org/
I got my visa done there and got it back in less than 1 week
Jul 11th, 2005, 12:14 PM

I also got my VN visa from the consulate in SF and it was likewise back in less than a week. Read ALL the fine print. You must chose a date to enter VN. You can enter after that, but NOT before. It's an odd set-up.
Jul 11th, 2005, 08:20 PM

divediva:

there is a VN consulate in SF. go online and bring up the page. you can download the forms the cost is $60.00. you get a one (1) month visa and can enter/exit any time w/i that month.

you need 2 pics and use a money order. you can send via USPS priority mail and must include a return self-addressed postage paid envelope.

they are very efficient and had it returned to me in hawaii less than one week.

it didnt say but many countries say you must have at least 6-months validity remaining on your PP.

i dont know if personal delivery and pickup in SF is better.

i spoke before with a consular rep and he was very accommodating and helpful so they will tell you best way to handle visa.
Jul 13th, 2005, 09:26 AM

The visa application form requires putting down a contact (organization or individual). Can I just put down a hotel where I might stay?
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Yes, the first hotel you will be at is sufficient for a contact.