Notices

Which of these hotels in Bali?

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which of these hotels in Bali?

The planning goes on, so many great tips on this forum and here I go again. We will go to Bali in July via Kuala Lumpur (3 days at Shangri La or Oriental). We (2 adults and one child aged 9) will split our time between the beach and some days in Ubud (got several valuable tips from you there). Last time we stayed at The Hilton, but want to try another resort this time. Need comments from you regarding the resorts we are considering:
1. The Conrad, Tanjung Benoa
2. The Westin, Nusa Dua
3. The Melia, Nusa Dua
4. Sofitel, Seminyak
5. Aston, Tanjung Benoa
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 10:36 AM

WE STAYED AT THE CONRAD LAST JUNE AND IT WAS FANTASTIC...it had opened the month before and was still in a break in stage...it could not have been nicer...the beach area is nice, but the pools are unbelievable...you child will love it...two ends of the pool/lagoon area have sandy beach areas for kids to play around in...
the food is quite good and varried...the hotel is somewhat remote from other places....bumboo bali, a local restaurant is excellent and you would enjoy it...they will pick you up and return you to the hotel...you need a reservation...
the manager is australian and understands western tastes...i believe it is the newest hotel on southern bali...

we had putu, who is often spoken about on this forum, as our driver/guide on several days...i would highly suggest that you get someone like him....another fodorite, with children, also had him and he made their trip special according to her report...
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob,
The Conrad sounds great. I have seen some pictures on the net and on their website and it looks faboulous. However I have stayed in Tanjung Benoa once before at, The Grand Mirage, and the beach there was not all that great, found the beach of Hilton in Nusa Dua much better. What's the beach in front of The Conrad like? And did you notice if The Conrad seemed family orientated and had a Kids Club?
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 04:46 PM

i did not see a kids club, but there were plenty of kids around, many with nannies, but many with their parents also...the normal restaurant is quite comfortable for kids and food is served out on the lawn all day on an order request basis...hambys, etc...

to be honest, i never put my foot on the beach...no that's a lie...i did walk to one end of the property and walk across one small section of beach....i think the main beach area is man-made, in that the golden sand, of which there is plenty, seems to have been bull-dozed up to make the beach look bigger than it is....the pools are free form...the lagoon area stretches from one end of the property to another all around the beach side of the hotel....the central pool is a rectangle i believe in the center of all of this....there are bridges and walkways....it is very pleasant....no need to go on the beach--and i say tath as a beach person....you look out across a large body of water and maybe 5 miles across is land and a huge mountain, when not obscured with clouds...it is simply beautiful....

i think you would be happy there...again, while i did not like the hotel as well, i loved it when we moved to the bali hyatt and especially liked sanur....i would go to sanur again for part of my bali vacation...the grounds there are very lush with mature plantings and tons of lawns....it is a very large place, although the hotel itself is quite compact...
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:18 PM

I visited the Conrad (though didnít stay there). The hotel itself is one of the best big internationals, well designed, lively with a beautiful and appealing lagoon-type pool interconnecting the whole complex. In the tropics, the heat and humidity cause rapid deterioration and itís difficult for mid-price places to keep ahead of the rot and mildew. Thatís why for my money new is better in Bali. So for buildings and grounds the Conrad is one of the best. The Conradís beach is absolutely pathetic, one of the worst in Bali. Measly imported sand and a bay thatís plagued by jetskiís. You just wish they could pick the whole place up and plunk it down on a decent beach.

For beach alone, especially for a 9 year old, youíd be better off in Nusa Dua, Sanur, or Jimbaran. Sanur is a great swimming beach for kids (and adults). Nusa Dua gets very shallow and rocky when the tide goes out, but itís got a big sandy expanse. Jimbaran is also good for swimming but itís limited for walking. The big international hotels in these areas are older and hence not so sparkling and well designed, but they definitely cater to families.

The expat families we know here in Jakarta tend to like the following for their kids: Grand Hyatt, Intercontinental, Bali Padma. Personally, weíve always stayed at the Legian in Seminyak. My son, who is a hearty swimmer, loved the waves, but the surf is a bit on the rough side.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your nice description of The Conrad, but if I understand you right you liked the Hyatt in Sanur better? I had a look at The Grand Hyatt last time we were in Bali as it is located next to Hilton were we stayed. The Grand Hyatt was also very nice, but very, very big, and the beach outside Hilton was much better. But I will have look at the Hyatt Sanur website.

Hi marmot,

In 2000 we stayed at The Grand Mirage in Tanjung Benoa and the beach there was bad, and it sound to you it will not be any better outside The Conrad. You do not have any information regarding The Westin. From what I have found of information now, it should be newly renovated and have I nice kiddies club.
Ofcourse Jimbaran and The Intercontinental might also be an option. The Legian is a very nice hotel, had dinner there the last we were in Bali, and the manager even took us to see the rooms, beautiful. However our budget for the bech part of the vacation will be 150-200USD/night. But what about The Sofitel, is in the same area.

Some pics from previous trips:
http://community.webshots.com/user/jparnestad
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 01:50 PM

i did not like the bali hyatt better in any way other than its easy access to the town of sanur....the conrad is fabulous in every way for my life style...i thought the way you described what you were looking for made the hyatt a better choice....i intended to take a look at the grand hyatt but never got there....i was afraid that if i did i would never find my way out---i have heard how huge it is....the bali hyatt is a large hotel on a very large piece of property, but it is very manageable, unlike its cousin (so i have read)...