Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Bali - family with 2 teenagers

Notices

Old Aug 9th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Thinking about a 10-14 day holiday in Bali in late November/early December. Really really confused about where to stay. We will be me, my husband, 17 y.o old daughter and 13 y.o son. Want to go somewhere reasonably nice - but not necessarily really luxurious, clean, good buffet breakfast, close to a nice beach, close to markets, restaurants. Definitely do not want to stay anywhere really busy (i.e. Kuta) or anywhere with 24/7 drunken partygoers. I am thinking Seminyak or Sanur. The beach in Sanur looks lovely, but I am worried it might be a bit too quiet over there for my kids. Seminyak I think would be fine in terms of things to do, but have heard bad things about the beach. Nusa Dua's beach looks gorgeous,but I am told it will be too boring for a family - more of a honeymoon destination. Mainly want to just relax. Would consider even having a week in each different location - i.e. week in Sanur, week in Seminyak....so please help me out all you Bali experts out there..... what do you think??? If it is any help, I am after something similiar to Karon/Kata areas of Phuket....nice and lots to do, but not over the top busy.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 04:07 AM

I live in Bali but am not a beach goer However, you might consider the Jimbaran area. I don't know what your budget is but there are lot of hotels there and its' close enough to Seminyak for the nightlife and shopping and so forth. Sanur is not too far away if you want to hop on a boat and go to Nusa Lembongan for snorkeling and water sports as well.
Either way, there are lots of spas and nice restaurants everywhere. It is the hot and rainy season however, so keep that in mind.

And you are wise to avoid Nusa Dua.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 06:50 AM

i think you might be very happy with sanur..... try one of the big places like the bali hyatt as they have tons of stuff to keep the kids busy on site, plus plenty of walk out places to go too....

while a bit remote with no walk out opportunities is the pan pacific hotel....it is magnificent with the most fantastic pools and water to keep the kids plenty busy....its just above tanah lot and not far from seminyak....

forget nusa dua!!!!
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 03:03 PM

I think you and your kids would like Seminyak. It's a big, long beach with easy walkable access to restaurants, shops, spas.

Seminyak beach has a fairly aggressive surf so you need to be a good swimmer who likes big waves. If that's the case then it can be a lot of fun, body boarding and watching the surfers. Your kids can take surfing lessons. All of the resorts have lifeguards and they're careful about closing the beach when the currents are unpredictable.

The resorts keep their beach areas clean, but there are several public areas in between that get a lot of use, especially on weekends. I think all of the activity -- surfers, dog walkers, soccer players, fishermen, bikini wearers -- makes it fun and interesting, but it's definitely not pristine.

There aren't too many places to stay that are right on the beach. I'd recommend the Legian (make sure you get the one in Seminyak), the Samaya or the Sofitel. There are also scores of villas that are in the little lanes just off the beach which are a good option for a family.

If you want a calm swimming beach then Sanur, Jimbaran or Nusa Dua are better. After Seminyak I would choose Sanur, but Seminyak is a lot livelier.

Bali is going through a bad traffic period. I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually but right now it can more than an hour to get from Seminyak to Sanur.

For 10-14 days you should definitely plan to spend some time inland in the Ubud area as well. I would pick one beach location and one inland location, either in the town of Ubud or in the surrounding countryside. There you can take advantage of the nature and culture aspects of Bali -- performance arts, handicrafts, trekking, rafting, museums -- lots to do. You can get a guide or sign on to your resort's organized activities.

The views along the rice paddies and river valleys are spectacular and the whole area is magical, mystical. I'd recommend the Alila or Alam Sari but there are many, many other choices.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 06:01 PM

getting a good driver/guide for a couple of days can be interesting and fun as well....i particularily like putu who is often written about on this board....your kids would love him also.... www.MyBaliFriend.com