Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Which itenararies to fit in 2D/2N in cultural Triangle?

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

Thanks, Kathy, for the answers in the previous thread. I have read all the trip reports by the Fodorites as far as Srilanka is concerned. Still the confusion.

In mid November, we will leave Bandarnaike Airport by 7am on day 1 for Dambulla/Kandalama by AC bus.

We wish to visit Dambulla Caves, Sigeriya Rocks, Habarana for Elephant ride.
second on the wish list would be Pollonuruwa, Aukan and Kandulla National park for jeep safari.

Our group has few children as well few 'unfit people for climbing'. Some climbing will be definitely on the cards.

We have only 2 nights at Dambulla/Kandalama.

Can you all help as regards - What to fit in, timing and the route, please?
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Dambulla caves are very close to the Kandalama. I don't know how long the bus ride is, but we arrived in the mid-afternoon by car. Try to go to the Dambulla Caves in the late afternoon when it will be less hot.

The next day, I'd go to Polonnaruwa (about 2 hours drive from the Kandalama). Do get a guide to tell you what you are seeing. We did both the elephant rides and the jeep safari after Polonnaruwa, though it was a long day.

The next morning, get to Sigiriya (about a half an hopur drive from the Kandalama)as early as possible. Those who don't want to climb can enjoy the gardens below the rock. There is also a mid-way point, so people can climb all the way up, or half-way. This is the most strenuous day. If necessary, you could move the elphant rides to this day, but having a shorter day would mean you could move on to your dext destination (Kandy?) in the afternoon.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Kathy,

I had not envisioned this. And it seems to be doable. Can we have Pinnawale E.orphanage on the day we move in from Airport on the way to Dambiulla and still can we mange to go fo Dambulla caves?
Thanks a lot.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 05:51 AM

No. If you want to visit the elephant orphanage, do it the day you go from Dambulla to Kandy.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

OK. Thanks.

Two more offshoots.
1. We have planned to stay for a night in Ella after a night halt at Kandy. Which is the best route to Ella from Kandy-thro' Badulla / or thro' Nuwara Eliya? And how much time does it take to reach? We wanted to visit Peradenia Botanical Garden the day we start from Kandy to hill country. Now if the route is thro' Badulla, then can we still fit in the bot. garden?
2. From Ella, we go to Hikkaduwa for 2-3 nights. Can we fit in Mirissa Whale watching on the way?

Thanks a lot.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 08:20 AM

Sorry, I can't help you with those questions, as we didn't go to Ella or Hikkaduwa.

Are you hiring a car and driver? The driver will know the best routes and can help you plan your itinerary.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 08:48 AM

i. The traditional route - and best road - from Kandy to Ella is thru Nuwara Eliya.

Ella to Hikkaduwa. Err.. were you planning to do that in one day? How long do you imagine that drive will take? I suspect your routing will be Ella/Nuwara Eliya/Balangoda/Panadura/Bentota/Hikkadewa.

Phew. Eight, nine hours. Even the other routing is just as long. Better check.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dogster.

There is one road that goes to Yala [65 km or so]. Prior to left turn to Yala, one can go to Hambantota and then on to coastal highway, I assume. I just went thro' the map.
If this is not true, then we will have to sleep at Nuwara Eliya, and back to may be Bentota.
Thanks again.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 06:18 AM

Hi kam: making a routing just thru the map is not a good idea, so try and get some local info here. That 65 km is one endless windy, very scenic, curvy one lane road. Roadworks can slow you down. What looks like a good route may be fraught with oddities. When I was driven Nuwara E. to Galapita [Yala] it took seven hours, but that was with roadworks. Arghhh. All I'm saying is - get local advice, assume nothing.

Hopefully mohammed will come in here and tell you up to date info. Remember also to check public and religious holidays. Do not travel on these days. One big traffic jam.

The coastal highway is about three hours Yala to Galle, easy driving, pleasant scenery, then another hour or so to Hikkaduwa. [from memory].
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 07:12 AM

dogster is so right. What looks like a reasonable route on the map may not be at all. And travel is much slower than you anticipate - even without road work.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Hi and sorry to join the party late, will try to help you the best I can.

Ella - Hikkaduwa - best route IMHO is Ella- Wellawaya- Thanamalwilla, Udawalawe, Thimbolketiya, Embiliyapitiya, Nonagama, Tangalle, Matara, Galle, Hikkaduwa - this will probably take five hours straight driving and your should see elepants on this route along the Uda Walawe electric fence.

Alaternatively you can also do Ella - Wellawaya, Thanamalwilla, Hambantota, coastal route via Tangalle, Matara, Galle to Hikkaduwa - this will also take about 5 hours. This route is scenic along coast line. If you like a good rice and curry lunch stop by at the Hambantota rest house, great view, and great old fashioned rice and curry lunch.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 09:05 AM

"From Ella, we go to Hikkaduwa for 2-3 nights. Can we fit in Mirissa Whale watching on the way?"....

Yes defintely possibleand I hioghly reccomend it provided you are travelling at the appropriate time of the year..... Mirissa is between Matara and Galle....
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 09:17 AM

November. A bit early in the season for whale watching, better check.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mohammed fo relieving my anxiety. Well, 5 hrs is fine.

I had asked Mirissa water sports and though mail reply fom them is yet to come, over phone, they are affirmative for the season.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 09:19 PM

Kam, are you doing this in a bus with 30 other people? Are you organising this?
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 09:44 PM

Kamlesh, suggest you contact Mr Gehan De Silva Wijeryaratne MD of Jetwing Eco Tours for the whale watching, tell him that you wre introduced by Mohammed - gehan at jetwing.lk...
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Dogster,

I am a pediatrician. [not a tour operator,as any one could have believed.] I am an eternal traveller by heart as many amongst the forum. I want to organize things in my own way, which is guided by the selfless help of the Fodorites and other travel forums-thorntree.
Our group will cosist of families of our academic friends.I wish to hire the services of Rammuni as has been recommended by Craig over here and in Tripadvisor forum.

Mohammed, Mr. Gehan Silva Wijeyaratne is a big name, I had read about him regarding his work in Whale finding in Sri Lanka. How to reach him? Thro' Jetwing?
Thanks.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 03:01 AM

How excellent, kam. You're very brave! lol. At the moment I can't quite see the whole of your plan, but if you care to share I'm sure that people might offer suggestions. As you well know, the dynamics of touring with a large group are totally different than the normal car/driver/tourist couple nexus.

I didn't comment on the hotel list in another post - but, if you'll forgive me, they're all pretty ordinary. I understand the budget constraints, but I think you'll do better - I'm sure Mohammed can steer you in better directions. I think, with such a lot of you, you really MUST be able to get some nifty discounts for multiple rooms. A travel guy might be able to negotiate that easier - but that's no reason not to do it yourself. Bravo you.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 06:36 AM

kamleshrut, I believe Mohammed was giving you Mr. Gehan Silva Wijeyaratne's email address at the end of his post - just leave out the spaces and substitute @ for at. Mohammed was a great help to me when I was planning our trip to Sri Lanka.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks dear Dogster and Kathy for the helping hands.

Sure, the touring dynamics are different. Hope it works out well. We have experience of few occassions of group travel and of partially organizing, too. This time also, I am having the planning fun. Actual dealing will be likely to be left to Rammuni, if every thing works out fine.

In november 2nd -3rd week, we plan to visit Sri Lanka for 8-9 day's. Our envisaged itineraries are as follows: Kindly correct me, so that I can proceed further.
• Cultural triangle-Dambulla 2 nights,
• Kandy 1 night,
• Ella 1 night,
• Hikkaduwa 2-3 nights, [To be finalized soon].
• Negombo 1 night on way out.

Day 1: We will start from the Airport after the formalities are over towards Dambulla [? MPS village hotel] or may be at Sygeriya [Hotel Sygeriya], breakfast on way, settle in the hotel and take lunch. After taking some rest, we plan to visit Dambulla caves. Sleep at Dambulla.
•Day 2: Next day morning, after breakfast, we move to Kaudulla National Park or Minneriya sanctuary for Jeep safari. Then visit Polonnuruwa, take lunch over there. While coming back, we will visit Habarana; few of us may take up elephant ride. Get back to Dambulla Hotel, dine and rest.
•Day 3, after breakfast, we will check out early in the morning. Then we will visit Sigeriya Rock and climb up according each person’s fitness. Then we will move towards Kandy. Before checking in we can visit Pinnewale and take lunch. Then checking in at the hotel ? at Kandy. After taking some rest, afternoon will be spent for some shopping & Kandyan Dance show at 5pm at ?Kandyan Art & Cultural centre. Then we will visit Tooth Relic Temple.
•Day 4: after breakfast, we will head towards Ella, hopefully after viewing Peradeniya Botanical Garden. Lunch at ? Sleep at Ella ?. Visit to Dunhinda falls may not be possible.
•Day 5: after breakfast, we head towards coast. Many of want to do Whale [& Dolphin] viewing at Mirissa if at all possible. After that we move to Hikkaduwa ?? and rest.
•Day 6: after breakfast, we can visit Galle fort and then do the water sports at the beach and sleep at Hikkaduwa. If Whale watching could not be done, the previous day, then can we do whale watching before visiting Galle Fort?
• {option to take some relaxation for one more day is kept open at present)
•Day 7 [Day 8] after breakfast, we move towards Negombo-after Moon Stone Quarry, Turtule sanctuary, and Glass bottom boating—then go straight to Negombo. After checking in at ??, we go back to Colombo for the City tour which may include some shopping. [We may go for the city tour first and then check in at Negombo]And come back to Negombo for sleep.
• Day 8 [Day 9] after breakfast, we will check out at 11, prior to which some of us may visit beach. And then move to Airport for 2.45 pm flight towards Mumbai.

I understand that it is a different ball game and seems to be a rushed tour. If you think that it is over ambitious one, we will curtail few things. Please let me know.

Finalization of the hotels will be the next step.

Yes, Kathy, I have got the email id and sent an email to Mr. Gehan, famous for his great interest in Whales near Srilanka, just now. Blue whale and Sperm Whale viewing seems to be a very interesting idea. Hope it turns out to be a reality.

Warm regards,