Galle or Kandy for day trip from Columbo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2017, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in port for one day only in Columbo and want to spend most of that day somewhere else! Since we are cruising to many beach areas, Kandy seemed more appealing if it had more mountain or jungle terrain and good sense of local lifestyle. But we've been told the road to Kandy is more arduous than to Galle and there isn't much to see on the drive. (we don't want to go to the elephant orphanage) Any experienced travelers who can comment or advise on this choice? Should we allow for any time in Columbo at all?
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 10:09 AM

I'd recommend going to the cultural triangle area - Dambulla Cave Temples, Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya. Much more to see than Kandy or Galle, IMO.
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 11:53 AM

It's much easier to go to Galle and as you only have one day you really wouldn't have time to see much in Kandy or the cultural triangle. I liked Galle and you can certainly make a nice trip to here and have a good lunch
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 01:58 AM

I guess you can go to Kandy Dalada Maligawa Since it is one of the beautiful historical place for looking lots about Kandy Kingdom
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 09:41 AM

Agree with smeagol. While the Cultural Triangle is far more interesting and beautiful than any of the other options, both it and Kandy are way too far away to practically consider for a day trip. You'd spend most of your day in a car vs in the place you want to see.

Galle is an easy day trip and it's accessible from Colombo by the only highway in Sri Lanka which is almost always empty. So figure a good 2 hour drive there early in the morning gives you a nice full day in Galle -- which, admittedly, you might not even need. I'd aim to get there late morning, walk around the Fort, have lunch, do some shopping, watch sunset then have an early dinner before heading back to Colombo. Sounds like a lovely day, IMHO.
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 09:43 AM

I'd also add that, unlike many folks here, I found Kandy (while pretty scenery-wise) not all that interesting beyond the Temple of the Tooth--which also is arguably most interesting to see at night when crowds of locals come for the unveiling of the tooth casket...which would preclude a day trip.
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 11:16 AM

A day trip to Kandy would be much more rewarding with mountains, terrain and local lifestyle and you could see Pinnawela Elephants, a tea factory Visit, The kandy Temple and the Botanical gardens all in one long day. Travel to kandy by car would take about 3 hours each way. There is a very nice train that leaves every morning at 0700 hrs and arrives Kandy at 0931hrs, and the return is at 3.00pm and arrives Colombo at 17.56 hrs and you can book this online at http://www.exporail.lk/ . The train is highly recommended for a stress free journey and also very scenic also quite reasonably priced. If using the train you can easily find a Tuk Tuk in to potter around Kandy. However if taking the train the Pinnawela Elephant orphanage which is enroute on the road journey would not be accessible.

In comparison, a day trip to Galle is much easier because of the new expressway linking Galle to Colombo the road trip takes about 90 mins each way. While there are some nice beaches around Galle vicinity and the historic Galle Fort has a nice charm but other than that it would not compare to Kandy in depth of experience of "mountains, jungle terrain and culture".

I have often have business visitors who like to make such day trips on a short schedule and Kandy is the most popular choice.