Which hotels in Goa?

Jul 9th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Which hotels in Goa?

First timers to Goa for 6-8 nights between visits to Agra and Mumbai at Christmas time, we have only managed to secure 3 nights at the charming-looking Siolim House near Chapora. Tossing up between spending the remainder of the time on the beach in South Goa, or finding an alternative on the beach in North Goa. My Indian travel agent has recommended Majorda Beach Resort, but I'm hoping perhaps naively to be less inundated with children. Any tips for fabulous but quieter resorts, with access to hubbub when we feel like it?
Jul 9th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Budget?
Jul 9th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Approx US$300 per night if our poor Australian dollar holds up.
Jul 9th, 2005, 07:41 PM

For that much DEF not the Majorda! Some general comments. South Goa has the pristine , white sand beaches and cleanest water, North Goa has crowded, not great sand beaches, not great swimming either but proximity to restauarnst, night life, flea market, etc. South to North is 30-45 mins odd by car depending on location. The farthest is probably the Leela which is an hour to the Fort Aguada Hotel.

If you like boutique properties take a look at www.nilayahermitage.com - Nilaya - gorgeous South Goa beach property - fabulos and quiet. The same owners have another property Fort Tiracol which is also gorgeous but I think may be too similar in style to Siolim House. Nilaya's site says prices are higher than what you have said your budget is but a good Indian travel agent may be able to negotiate a better rate for you.

Among beach properties my personal fav is the Taj Exotica in South Goa. Gorgeous hotel set on a beautiful stretch of beach. Don't know their peak season rates tho.

I always reco a couple nights at the Aguada Holiday Village in North Goa. It is so convenient for everything that the fact that the stretch of beach is not great can be overlooked. You can use that time to check out the charming restaurants, bars and shops in North Goa and Panjim.
Jul 9th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Fantastic thanks. Love the look of Nilaya and am on to it straight away. Much more me than the hordes at a family resort. After Agra, Delhi and Mumbai,it looks like the calmest way to wind down. Thanks for the tips.
Jul 12th, 2005, 01:20 AM

Hyatt has recently opened its Park Hyatt Resort and Spa property. Its situated in South Goa. Have a look at that. I really like that place. I agree with hobbes, defi not Majorda… Not worth $300. South Goa is full of 5-star resorts like Leela, Taj properties, Park Hyatt, Mariott, Intercontinental etc…
Jul 12th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MiniAK - you've read my mind. After Hobbes' recommendations and more research, the Park Hyatt is Plan B if the Nilaya is full. Cheers P