Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Resort areas other than Goa for New Years?

Sep 26th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are going to India for the holidays to visit family, and we figured after doing a lot of visiting we'd spend the last few days of our vacation relaxing, just the two of us. We had tried to go to the Maldives, but that proved problematic, and we're trying for Goa right now but we don't have too many options since most of the hotels are already booked for our dates (Jan. 2-5, 2006). Can anyone recommend any other locations, ideally resorts with at least a nice pool if not a beach, elsewhere in India? I understand Sri Lanka is lovely, but I think at this point we'd rather not mess around with another country.

Thanks for any and all replies!
Sep 26th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Kerala has gorgeous non beach resort properties - take a look at www.cghearth.com. Also take a look at www.heirtagehotels.com and www.neemranahotels.com. The latter esp has some great resorts, lots of character. What kind of budget are you thinking?
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:08 PM

check out the surya Samudra Beach resort in Kovalam Kerala. I stayed there a few year ago. At the time it belong to a Germany Hotel chain. The resort has about 25 rooms only, all rooms face the ocean. Beautiful pool and you can walk down to the beach. Beware of the beaches in kerala they have a lot of undercurrent.
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:44 PM

I also agree with the Kerala recco. Another thought is the east coast south of Chennai, some place like the Pondicherry area which has some great cultural sights and a French colonial influence as well as beaches. You can fly into Chennai and drive to Pondicherry town in 2 -3 hours. There is a new Neemera hotel in Pondicherry town which I myself would love to try (don't know about beach access though) take a look at http://www.neemranahotels.com/pondi/index.html.

They also have a Bungalow on the Beach in Tharangambadi which is which is a former Danish colonial outpost further south of Pondicherry about 4 hours (I think) south of Chennai. I have not been there and don't know much about it, perhaps you could Google it or post a question. I have heard of the area generally because it was one of the areas in India which was particularly hard hit by the tsunami in December 2004. For info on the hotel go to http://www.neemranahotels.com/bunglow/index.html

Where will you be coming from in India?

Sep 26th, 2005, 11:18 PM

You must immediately get in touch with Mr. Rahul Pahwa, Director marketing (North & East India)of the Taj Group. He was instrumental in getting one of my very valued customer a reservation at the Taj Fort Aguada, Goa; only a few days ago.
They are booking all Taj hotels for a minimum of 5 nights during the balackout period @ approx. $400 for a sea facing room.
Mr. Rahul Pahwas email address is: [email protected]
Sep 26th, 2005, 11:26 PM

Again.
I believe there are some rooms available at Cedade de Goa for the New Year period. The property is very nice if you do not mind the black sand exclusive beach. You may get in touch at [email protected]
Sep 27th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! We actually found room at Cedade de Goa yesterday, but if that falls through for some reason, I'll definitely look into these other locations. Cicerone, I'm going to check out your ideas since we're going to be in Chenai just prior to our "relaxation" segment.
Sep 28th, 2005, 04:23 AM

well as you are not in goa for the actual new years night, then i guess kerala would be a good option, but no partying in kerala like it is in goa.